Brown Hawk Owl

02 Mar 2014 18:12 #1728 by Paul TW
Paul TW created the topic: Brown Hawk Owl
My first day back in the forest for quite a few weeks at the weekend. A Brown Hawk Owl (Ninox scutulata) pair at Kaeng Krachan National Park.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2014 22:19 #1729 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: Brown Hawk Owl
Nice picture of a cute couple.
Always nice to find owls during the day.
Did you just happen to look in the right direction and spot them, or were they calling? Probably not calling, as they seem to be so sleepy, and besides that already had found a mate.

It reminds me of a funny encounter a week or 2 ago. This species does call during the day.
I heard one calling during the day (about 15:00) and I imitated the call (quite easy to imitate), and it did respond. And while I moved in closer, suddenly there seemed to be more than one responding on my imitation.
Turned out that on the other side of the tree where the owl was in, was this birdwatcher playing a recording of the same call haha. Funny how we all three - the bird watcher, myself and the real brown hawk owl in the tree above us - were fooled by eachother. The owl must have been amazed as well having all these mates around approaching on him.

More
03 Mar 2014 06:20 - 05 Mar 2014 12:50 #1730 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: Brown Hawk Owl

onflipflops wrote: Did you just happen to look in the right direction and spot them, or were they calling?

Errmmm... I saw a group of green clad Homo sapiens pointing up to the top of a tree. My birding knowledge/skills are zero - maybe less.

More
04 Mar 2014 00:32 #1733 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: Brown Hawk Owl
Forgot to add that option, haha, my fault ;).
Nothing to be ashamed of! It's the most common option. And still it means you happened to look in the right direction ;)
If there was a group of people it means they did exactly the same as you did. Only one of them needed the skills to spot it (doesn't say anything about you or the others not having the skills). Or even none of them needed it, as it might be a known roosting spot...
I also forgot to add to my little story that I did not get to see the calling owl...

Regardless, it's a cute couple.

More
05 Mar 2014 08:41 #1737 by Bagheera
Bagheera replied the topic: Brown Hawk Owl
What a sweet pair these 2 are! Although one of them looks pretty bored Im guessing its the male!!

More
05 Mar 2014 11:46 - 05 Mar 2014 12:47 #1740 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: Brown Hawk Owl
I will be back at the same spot tomorrow (am off for a day more of me trying to master my macro video technique - its bloody more difficult than I ever anticipated) so will be interesting to see if they are still in the same area. If so I will try and use a flash and a longer lens to get a better shot.

More
06 Mar 2014 19:39 #1748 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: Re:Brown Hawk Owl
No luck am afraid

More
07 Mar 2014 08:31 #1749 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: Re:Brown Hawk Owl
Too bad ;)

More
Moderators: bootly66