Help identify two birds

30 Apr 2014 21:41 #1927 by NN
NN created the topic: Help identify two birds
I shot these two birds this afternoon. Can anyone help ID them? Thanks.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2014 21:54 #1930 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: Help identify two birds
Looks like Lesser-necklaced laughing thrush and a male scarlet-backed flowerpecker. Particularly the flower pecker is a tiny but handsome bird!

More
30 Apr 2014 22:22 #1933 by NN
NN replied the topic: Help identify two birds
Thanks, how common are these birds? The thrush I shot from my back porch, it's the first time I've seen one. While the pecker was shot from a hide I set up on my back fence.

More
01 May 2014 05:59 - 01 May 2014 06:01 #1938 by onflipflops
I don't have my bird books with me, I'm not in Thailand right now. But I believe I've read that the Scarlet-backed flowerpecker can be found throughout the whole country and is considered a common bird. After my first sighting I was also surprised to read that but I'm not a true birder and usually don't take the time to ID little birds hopping around in the trees. I suppose that when you pay more attention to birds that you will see it more frequently. Besides in the national park, I've also seen it in my garden in Pak Chong.

The Laughing thrush is quite common inside the park, though not the most common laughing thrush species. I've also seen it a lot in HKK which is at lower elevation and in different type of forest than in Khao Yai so I guess they are wide-spread and quite common.

More
01 May 2014 06:36 #1940 by wildambience
wildambience replied the topic: Help identify two birds
Nice photos & Ton is spot on with the ID. You must have some nice habitat nearby your house to get the Laughingthrush from the back porch - I'm jealous!

More
01 May 2014 08:29 #1942 by NN
The thrush was back this morning, along with a kingfisher. We are a few hundred meters from KY, there seems to be more bird life around, including several that I haven't seen before. I suspect the dry conditions are attracting them? Our house is very open, the second floor is great for birding.
Attachments:

More
01 May 2014 08:44 #1944 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: Help identify two birds
What a beautiful house.

More
01 May 2014 17:53 #1950 by onflipflops
Nice spot! The backyard looks very green.
Watch out for elephants in your backyard ;)

More
01 May 2014 20:30 - 02 May 2014 05:58 #1952 by NN
No elephants unfortunately, but I did spot this bird in this morning. Anyone have an idea what it is?

Attachments:

More
01 May 2014 23:17 - 01 May 2014 23:24 #1953 by onflipflops
Blue-winged Pitta! Beautiful ground-dwelling birds. Even though one of the more common pitta species, certainly not an easy bird to spot. Pitta's are generally (very) high on the wanted-list for birders visiting Thai national parks. Many colorful species.
Khao Yai has 4 species (as far as I know).
Blue Pitta
Blue-winged Pitta
Eared Pitta
Hooded Pitta

And in your garden; I'm jealous!
Are there any plots for sale, nearby? (This is an honest question)

More
02 May 2014 19:32 - 02 May 2014 19:35 #1956 by NN
Thanks for the ID. At the moment there's several species hanging round that I've never seen before, often near a garden tap where the ground is moist and there's insects. Below is one I saw in my yard today.

Another one, quite deep in the jungle.

I also spotted a hornbill today, first I've seen in the area.

There is land for sale in the area, I'm not sure about prices. I would imagine from B500k - B1,000+ per rai would get something nice enough. We bought in 2008, it's gone up since then, but still much cheaper than PC. If you're ever in the area let me know, I would be happy to show you round.
Attachments:

More
03 May 2014 01:20 - 03 May 2014 01:21 #1957 by onflipflops
The first one (2 images) is a Yellow-vented Bulbul, and the second one a Black-headed Bulbul.

Which Hornbill species did you see? Oriental Pied Hornbill?

That's indeed a lot cheaper than in Pak Chong! Prices here are out of proportion, especially near the park...
But people are buying it. (Lots of rich and famous around here, holiday houses.)
Thanks for the offer, if I ever have the time to come around i will let you know!

More
03 May 2014 09:30 #1959 by NN
Here's a blurry pic of the hornbill, maybe you can identify the species?

In 2010 we looked at land sandwiched in a valley with KY on both sides. It had great views and they were asking only B400k per rai, but then there was the shootings with the red shirts and I got cold feet. The people across the soi from us approached me asking B400k, it's low lying land with few trees and they may be asking more now.

The only thing crazier about the PC prices is the level of development there. The Thai economy is on shaky ground, so prices may be a bit more sensible in the future.
Attachments:

More
03 May 2014 15:25 - 03 May 2014 15:26 #1960 by onflipflops
Yes that is a male oriental pied hornbill. The smallest of the 4 species in KY.

And thanks for the info on the land prices.
Sounds like an nice spot, sandwiched between the park.

There is a nice but large plot of land, 39 rai for sale very close to the northern KY entrance, bordering the park. People who have visited the park from the north side must have seen it.
It has been for sale for a few years now. I have walked in the jungle bordering this plot and found bear claw markings, elephant dung, and other tracks nearly on this plot of land.
I haven't even dared to call. Even at a reasonable price per Rai a plot this size would be way out of my budget, but I keep dreaming, ;)
When I get back I should give them a call, just for fun.

More
Moderators: bootly66