A very sad story

29 Oct 2014 16:16 #2437 by mistifarang
mistifarang created the topic: A very sad story
Once, on a night, I met this Barn Owl consuming a rat. He wasn't very afraid so I could take some photo's. He was every evening around. One day I found a net, so somebody want to catch him. De net was already occupied by a dove which I rescued and I cut the net into two pieces and threw it away. Unfortunately the Owl disappeared after a couple of days so I think that he landed at the Chatuchak-market in Bangkok where a lot of, illegal, animal trade is going on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2014 19:06 #2440 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: A very sad story
And probably the person who caught it got 100 baht for it. The lives of animals are not much worth in Thailand, apart from some rare species of course.
Sad indeed!

More
29 Oct 2014 19:40 #2442 by mistifarang
mistifarang replied the topic: A very sad story
No, unfortunately true enough onflipflops!

More
06 Feb 2016 14:18 #3410 by jack2964
jack2964 replied the topic: A very sad story
I am not sure what I have done is the right thing but I felt sorry for two owls I found at a flea market in Korat. A Barn Owl and Collared Scops Owl both of which I bought and set free when I got home. Some might argue by my buying I am encouraging the illicit trade and I can appreciate that but I thought then the owls might get a 2nd chance to live their lives as nature intended. Along with these owls were several male White-rumped Shamas, Lineated Barbet, White-crested Laughingthrush and Streak-eared Bulbul.
But the saddest was a Brahminy Kite chick which I wanted to buy too but didn't know how to care for it and can only hope however buys it will do the right thing.

Attachments:

More
07 Feb 2016 12:20 - 07 Feb 2016 20:41 #3412 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: A very sad story

jack2964 wrote: I am not sure what I have done is the right thing but I felt sorry for two owls I found at a flea market in Korat. A Barn Owl and Collared Scops Owl both of which I bought and set free when I got home.

Its always hard to know what to do - and what is right, or wrong. But at the end of the day its our own conscience that we are answerable to. There's two birds flying free because of you. I know how I would feel.

Why not report the incident anyway, so at least the authorities have it on their radar .... if any of us have a concern we want to report such as wildlife trafficking, poaching or animal abuse, the contacts are ........

Department of National Parks hotline 1362
Royal Thai Police, Natural Resources and Environmental Crime Suppression Division (NRECD) hotline 1136

More
07 Feb 2016 12:44 #3413 by rushenb
rushenb replied the topic: A very sad story
I am guessing that a question that pops into everyone's mind is, if we ever call those hotline numbers, how seriously would we be taken? Do they speak English at the other end of the line? Would the authorities send someone to do something about the case promptly?

Anyone with experience or heard of any stories?

More
07 Feb 2016 20:50 #3414 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: A very sad story
Catch 22 - can we justify NOT calling those numbers because we doubt, based on historical fact, that Thai authorities are not responsive? Or is better to believe that good perseveers?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rushenb

More
07 Feb 2016 21:32 #3415 by jack2964
jack2964 replied the topic: A very sad story
I believe the authorities are fully aware of what's going on at these flea markets and perhaps they themselves are powerless to act. much less us. A good case in point would be the ranger who took his own life to raise awareness of the severity of poaching, illegal logging and encroachment within protected parks. Can't recall his name but this hero gave his life for Huay Kha Kheng.
Like you say it truly is a catch 22 situation: buy and we feed the illicit trade, walk away and feel rotten.

More
08 Feb 2016 10:45 - 08 Feb 2016 10:46 #3417 by admin
admin replied the topic: A very sad story
Heres another option for reporting, if its suspected illegal trafficking in protected species, through an Android app:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=or...eland.wildscan&hl=en
The following user(s) said Thank You: onflipflops, jack2964

More
08 Feb 2016 11:59 #3418 by onflipflops
Indeed a difficult problem.
That WildScan app seems a very nice option. I have immediately downloaded it. That seems a fast and easy way to inform the organisation Freeland about it. I hope Freeland will be careful with your personal details whenever serious action is taken.
I know from experience that Freeland takes immediate action; though maybe the case I reported was a bit 'more serious'; charismatic species & local authorities involved. Not sure if they can react on every wild bird found on a market... and you can not blame them for setting priorities. But it seems like when they have time and man power, they will take action!
Sadly, in the case I reported no evidence was found, most likely because the perpetrator knew that people had found out about his actions, so I presume he was smart enough to get rid of everything before a team arrived and searched his home. My actions were not prompt, because I was worried who to inform which took me a while to find out. Very difficult when you know local authorities are involved...
It's a bit scary to be a whistleblower in a country where you live as a guest, and where they have these lovely defamation laws...
The following user(s) said Thank You: jack2964

More
08 Feb 2016 12:18 #3419 by onflipflops
Maybe one more important thing to keep in mind while deciding to buy endangered animals, even if you have the best intentions to set them free.
Keep in mind that when you buy/ transport these animals, you could be arrested for doing so...

So for that reason alone, you might be better off informing the right authorities.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jack2964

More
Moderators: bootly66