Pittas

30 Jun 2015 14:53 - 02 Jul 2015 16:39 #2942 by bootly66
bootly66 created the topic: Pittas
Thailand is home to 12 species of Pitta, although unfortunately some are on the critically endangered list. By their very nature, Pittas are very difficult bird to spot and photograph. Blue -winged Pittas are probably the most common and the easiest to find in many of Thailand's National Parks. Blue and Hooded Pittas follow next on the ease of finding scale. All three are listed as least concern, but the latter two being a little more secretive in their nature. Rusty-naped Pittas are fairly common at Mae Wong NP if you are prepared to wait. The Banded Pitta and Mangrove Pitta are resident in the south of Thailand and Sri Pang Nga NP is an excellent place to find the Banded. Eared Pittas have been reported at Khoa Yai and Kaeng Krachan NP, but I have never had the good fortune of seeing one (yet). Unfortunately Gurney's Pitta is all but extinct in Thailand with no reports of any sightings for a good few years now. Blue-rumped Pitta, Giant Pitta, Bar-bellied Pitta, Blue-naped Pitta and Garnet Pitta are all very elusive and only seem to be found in their own respective areas. A Fairy Pitta was recorded in Phuttamonton Park in Bangkok a few years back, but unfortunately to my knowledge it has not been recorded there again.
Banded Pitta:

Blue Pitta:

Blue Winged Pitta:

Hooded Pitta:

Rusty Naped Pitta:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2015 17:31 - 04 Feb 2017 20:23 #2943 by admin
admin replied the topic: Pittas
They are magnificent looking creatures. I only have the one photo encounter, with hooded pitta in Kaeng Krachan. It was delightful.

Attachments:

More
04 Feb 2017 17:32 - 04 Feb 2017 17:54 #4229 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: Pittas
After, what must be, 6 or 7 attempts to see/get a pic of a blue pitta (Hydrornis cyaneus) at Kaeng Krachan KM 18, I finally got one on Friday. It turned up twice, once very early in the morning while it was still virtually dark and then again at 15:00. I think I am relieved more than anything - its taken up a lot of my time :+)

I was sat on the floor to get the angle and I have to say how weird is this years weather when there are still leeches about in February.

I guess its going to get harder now for my next one. Which one?
Attachments:

More
04 Feb 2017 19:15 #4230 by rushenb
rushenb replied the topic: Pittas
Impressive shot! :)

More
04 Feb 2017 20:01 - 04 Feb 2017 20:38 #4231 by bootly66
bootly66 replied the topic: Pittas
Truly a great shot there.., i was there last weekend and nothing showed, still a bit early in the year , I hope to get some better shots of the Hooded soon

More
04 Feb 2017 20:19 #4232 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: Pittas
Thanks guys! I have to say, not being knowledgeable about birds I was amazed how well its "camouflage" works. I thought it would be a big bright blue blob - the camera sees that, but from a human's eyes it really was quite hard to see comparatively, especially head on. Obviously well adapted to the low light forest floor - which is somewhat of a surprise to me.

More
06 Feb 2017 11:46 #4234 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: Pittas
Lovely shot, congratulations.
Next, Eared Pitta? I have never seen Eared Pitta in Kaeng Krachan, but they should be around. I have seen it a couple of times in Khao Yai, but talking about camouflage... not an easy one to photograph, I guess. But perhaps the birding pros in KK know the spots?
Another one that not seems to be common - I've only seen it once in Kaeng Krachan - is the Rusty-naped Pitta.
Or rediscover the Giant Pitta ;-)

Easier target would be the Blue-winged Pitta, though I am not too much into birds, but think they will arrive a bit later in the year (or at least are more visible later on...)

I've heard the Long-tailed Broadbills are already nesting (though another person told me that the pair had moved on after all the birders' attention... not sure if it returned). I thought the broadbills usually nest later on in the year. Is also that maybe a direct consequence of the weird weather, or am I just wrong and do they always breed from end of January all the way till July?

Whatever you pick, good luck with your next target!

More
06 Feb 2017 14:03 #4235 by bootly66
bootly66 replied the topic: Pittas
Eared Pitta not too difficult outside the park at a few of the waterhole/ hides especially during breeding/feeding season.
Rusty naped , I have never been lucky enough to get at KK, Mae Wong is about the best place IMO
As for the Long tailed BBs, I saw them 2 weeks ago over the pond at km 27.There was one pair and a single male, looked like they were just pairing up and surveying the old nests from last year. Although they were on top of the nests , they certainly were not entering or building at that time

More
10 Feb 2017 00:42 #4236 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: Pittas
Ah yes, now you say that, I actually had heard about Eared Pitta at the hides outside the park. Forgot about that. I have never visited any of these hides.

Rusty Naped Pitta might also be possible in Phu Khieo WS. I have seen a nest there few years back.

More
Moderators: bootly66