Laem Pak Bia - Pak Thale

22 Aug 2015 18:25 - 28 Sep 2015 05:32 #3060 by Paul TW
Paul TW created the topic: Laem Pak Bia - Pak Thale
As the weather turned ropey again on Friday I decided to take a detour and have a relax by the beach instead of the forest. I had a lens I wanted to test with me and last week I had seen nothing to try it on, so I had the brain wave to call into Laem Pak Bia and Pak Thale (out of season not withstanding) so I could check the focus on the lens (a second hand purchase).

I had a few glimpses of the sun but it was blustery and cloudy, enough for me to call it a day by 11 am. The lens worked exceedingly well though and I took quite a few bird pictures. Laem Pak Bia was heaving with a huge assortment of birds early in the morning (7 am till 9 am), Pak Thale was a ghost town and I saw a total of no more than 10 birds in 2 hours - to be expected I suppose - not being a "birder" I can be forgiven for my lack of knowledge :side: .

I now have a bunch of shorebird pictures which I am struggling to ID - can anyone help?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2015 18:27 - 23 Aug 2015 03:11 #3061 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: Shorebird ID help?
and here are the rest of the shorebirds

any help at all is highly appreciated.
Attachments:

More
22 Aug 2015 19:42 #3062 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: Shorebird ID help?
No bird books with me at the moment, and zero knowledge of shorebirds, but was wondering if you could ID the lens you're trying ;) Or is it a secret?
Looks like a longer focal length, or is it possible to get close to the birds there?
Either way, looks like the focus is right on.

I can not wait to get out and try my new set up (D810 + 300mm VR PF + 1.4TC III).

More
23 Aug 2015 03:06 - 25 Aug 2015 05:45 #3063 by Paul TW
In the Laem Pak Bia Environmental Research Station you can get very close. Nearly everything was shot from the car window. Theres masses there - pelicans, eagles, painted stork, waders, all kinds of stuff easy to photograph. Which is why I went because i needed to practice technique with the lens. Lots of beach side accommodation at Had Chao Samram as well. Worth a visit.

The lens? I got lucky and picked up a second hand NIKON 600 VR ED. Its a monster and I have been trying to quietly practice with it - its a bit of a daunting beast to maneuver and to use. Even sticking it out of the car window is a major exercise.

D810 + 300mm VR PF + 1.4TC III - nice!! I quite fancy the D810 but its a financial bridge too far at the moment :+)

More
23 Aug 2015 12:35 #3064 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: Shorebird ID help?
Even though I keep telling myself I am more a wide-angle kind of photographer, I am still just a tiny bit jealous about your new toy ;)
Surely a pain to carry around and manouver, but once set up in a blind it will give you some awesome results.
The narrow depth of field makes any subject look aesthetically appealing.
One day...
Am looking forward to seeing more work shot with this new lens!

More
24 Aug 2015 16:37 - 28 Sep 2015 05:50 #3065 by Paul TW
I think, but am not sure, this is much harder than I thought it would be..............................

#4 is a wood sandpiper (Tringa glareola) ??
#5 is a Kentish Plover (Charadrius alexandrinus) ??

More
25 Aug 2015 10:32 #3067 by bootly66
bootly66 replied the topic: Shorebird ID help?
No 2 Plain Prinia
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul TW

More
25 Aug 2015 10:41 #3068 by bootly66
bootly66 replied the topic: Shorebird ID help?
No 1 Red necked Stint
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul TW

More
28 Sep 2015 05:49 - 28 Sep 2015 05:52 #3158 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: Laem Pak Bia - Pak Thale
Many thanks Bootly! I have a bunch of plover photos sat on my desktop - I keep looking at the book, then the pics - absolutely lost. I never realized it was so difficult to match IDs of these shorebirds.

Some more from Laem Pak Bia/Pak Thale.

#9 one I could ID ;+)

Attachments:

More
28 Sep 2015 05:51 - 22 Oct 2015 15:48 #3159 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: Laem Pak Bia - Pak Thale
#1 Red necked Stint (thanks to Bootly for ID)
#2 Plain Prinia (thanks to Bootly for ID)
#3 Common Greenshank
#4 wood sandpiper (Tringa glareola)
#5 Kentish Plover (Charadrius alexandrinus)
#6 Common greenshank
#7 Lesser sand plover
#8 Lesser sand plover
#9 Little ringed plover
#10 Painted Stork

PS. there an excellent site for nailing the IDs, its the site of Monte M. Taylor - go to the Thailand page for his trip to Laem Pak Bia/Pak Thale ... www.tsuru-bird.net

More
Moderators: bootly66