Siberian Blue Robin (Luscinia cyane)

17 Jan 2016 07:22 - 17 Jan 2016 07:46 #3361 by Paul TW
Paul TW created the topic: Siberian Blue Robin (Luscinia cyane)
Spent Friday and Saturday at Kaeng Krachan this weekend, and had an afternoon at KM 18. I need to reset my big lens (The Hernia) again as although this looks tack sharp, its a couple of mm out at 8 meters (the DOF at f4 at that distance is akin to using a macro lens - so the lens camera needs to be retuned with the lens).

I have been trying to ID this little visitor for the last couple of hours - hopefully Brian can confirm (?) as this bird ID thing is not easy for us non-birders. I think this is a sub-adult Siberian Blue Robin (Luscinia crane)?

Other than that it was a quiet weekend except for being woken up in Baan Kraang at 2 am with a jolt as a leopard (my assumption as I could not see it) started hissing spitting and screaming in the bushes about 30 feet for my hammock! I woke with such a start that I bit my tongue and drew blood!

I pulled the covers over my head and pretended to be somewhere else ;+)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2016 11:02 #3366 by rushenb
rushenb replied the topic: Siberian Blue Robin (Luscinia cyane)
Wow!.. This is the second leopard sighting in the vicinity of Ban Krang in such a short time! Too bad I can't get there next 5-6 weeks.. :(

More
17 Jan 2016 13:10 #3368 by bootly66
bootly66 replied the topic: Siberian Blue Robin (Luscinia cyane)
Yes I agree Siberian Blue Robin, but would say it's a female, possibly first winter.. BTW in all my trips to KK over the years I have never got even a glimpse of the Leopard.. would really appreciate a few pointers on a location where to start looking.. cheers Brian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul TW

More
18 Jan 2016 05:58 - 07 Feb 2016 10:35 #3374 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: Siberian Blue Robin (Luscinia cyane)
They are all over the park Brian but the sightings are nearly always on the road (probably because that where people are to see them) - the main area seems to be on the Baan Krang - Panoenthung stretch (after KM 21). There does not seem to be any specific pattern to it as there are sightings all over.

PS I have not seen one either yet. .. correction ... Seen on Feb 7 at KM 21
The following user(s) said Thank You: bootly66

More
Moderators: bootly66