Great slaty woodpecker Mulleripicus pulverulentus

15 May 2016 11:57 - 15 May 2016 13:17 #3729 by Paul TW
Paul TW created the topic: Great slaty woodpecker Mulleripicus pulverulentus
A male great slaty woodpecker (Mulleripicus pulverulentus) in flight. I have just bought one of Nikon's new high frame rate bodies and was having a play, you can now find me anywhere in the forest - just listen for my Nikon machine gun. This type of shot is one use I have come up with for it - so far, much easier with high frame rate than with the D800.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2016 12:34 #3730 by bootly66
bootly66 replied the topic: Great slaty woodpecker Mulleripicus pulverulentus
great shot... what body did you get??

More
15 May 2016 14:12 #3733 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: Great slaty woodpecker Mulleripicus pulverulentus
Its the big one - its not really typical of me as I usually buy my bodies second hand (I screw them up quickly with forest and sweat). I was in the market for a second hand D4s but people were asking silly prices so in a moment of financial madness I bought the D5. Now I have to convince myself it was money well spent (its going to be hard).

More
15 May 2016 14:18 #3734 by bootly66
Nice !!! 555 I'll take it then you aren't married or you have a very understanding missus.... I could never get away with that ;)

More
15 May 2016 14:19 #3735 by bootly66
I'm looking to get a new body.. can't decide between D7100 or D7200

More
16 May 2016 04:49 #3740 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: Great slaty woodpecker Mulleripicus pulverulentus
Nice shot.

12fps is worth the money when shooting action. Even action as small as a creature drinking and catching that exact moment where the last drop of water hangs on the tongue. Catching such a shot only works with high frame rate.
For shooting a 600mm lens from a blind, which you do, I think it's a great investment.
After the Nikon F5, I have never owned a big, professional body, but if it is built like the F5, surely it will last longer than most of the other models.

Looking forward to more action-packed shots ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul TW

More
16 May 2016 09:41 #3741 by Paul TW

bootly66 wrote: ......... can't decide between D7100 or D7200

I had the 7000 and the 7100 - picture quality was excellent. 7200 has rave reviews - and still has better file quality than the D500 I read.

More
16 May 2016 09:43 #3742 by Paul TW

onflipflops wrote: Nice shot.

12fps is worth the money when shooting action. Even action as small as a creature drinking and catching that exact moment where the last drop of water hangs on the tongue. Catching such a shot only works with high frame rate.

You read my mind ;+) Now to see if I, assisted by lady luck, can pull it off

More
16 May 2016 10:14 #3743 by bootly66

Paul TW wrote:

bootly66 wrote: ......... can't decide between D7100 or D7200

I had the 7000 and the 7100 - picture quality was excellent. 7200 has rave reviews - and still has better file quality than the D500 I read.

Did you have any "noise" issues???? I have the D7000 and i've never really been happy with it, especially at high iso

More
16 May 2016 11:02 - 16 May 2016 12:37 #3744 by Paul TW
I have noise issues with every camera I have had - I am, personally, very intolerant to noise, its one of the main reasons I don't get many keepers, I zoom in to 100% and end up deleting most of them as I like my photos to look the same quality at 4000 px as they do at 800 px. The pic above is excellent at 4000 px wide which gives me the opportunity to use/print it in virtually anyway I might like.

I have gone through a lot of experimenting and internet research but never could come up with a concrete view as everyone has a different noise tolerance and opinion. I think, as forest photographers, we have to decide whats our main photography type and then go with that and damn all else. For me it was hide work in low light - full frame's really the only answer if we don't have much light. The d800 threw me off a little as its noise performance (IMHO) after iso 800 for 100% viewing of the file is pretty bad IMHO even for a full frame camera - it took me a long time to work this out. With the D5 (and D4s which is essentially the same) I have quickly become very comfortable with iso 1600 and found iso 3200 to be very workable. At iso 6800 its not really working for me and my quality/size desires. So you can see I am very very picky about noise.

You may want to look at some pics from the d500 which has the best noise performance for an APC cam to date. Alternatively there should be some second hand full frame Df and D750s coming available in fotofile as people turn to the d500. You loose reach of course but thats not such a great issue if your first priority is from a blind in the forest understory on a rainy season day at 7:00 a.m. and you don't want to use flash ;+)

Of course the rub is that APC with its reach and smaller pixel pitch has the advantage for all wildlife shooting in nearly all other situations when theres sufficient light about.

With the 7100 I never used it in a blind so cannot really be of much use to you - I used it for macro and always with flash, never going over 400 ISO, I didn't like 800 even.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bootly66

More
16 May 2016 12:30 #3745 by bootly66

Paul TW wrote: I have noise issues with every camera I have had - I am, personally, very intolerant to noise, its one of the main reasons I don't get many keepers, I zoom in to 100% and end up deleting most of them as I like my photos to look the same quality at 4000 px as they do at 800 px. The pic above is excellent at 4000 px wide which gives me the opportunity to use/print it in virtually anyway I might like.

I have gone through a lot of experimenting and internet research but never could come up with a concrete view as everyone has a different noise tolerance and opinion. I think, as forest photographers, we have to decide whats our main photography type and then go with that and damn all else. For me it was hide work in low light - full frame's really the only answer if we don't have much light. The d800 threw me off a little as its noise performance after 800 for 100% viewing of the file is pretty bad IMHO even for a full frame camera - it took me a long time to work this out. With the D5 (and D4s which is essentially the same) I have quickly become very comfortable with 1600 and found 3200 to be very workable. At 6800 its not really working for me and my quality/size desires. So you can see I am very very picky about noise.

You may want to look at some pics from the d500 which has the best noise performance for an APC cam to date. Alternatively there should be some second hand full frame Df and D750s coming available in fotofile as people turn to the d500. You loose reach of course but thats not such a great issue if your first priority is from a blind in the forest understory on a rainy season day at 7:00 a.m. and you don't want to use flash ;+)

Of course the rub is that APC with its reach and smaller pixel pitch has the advantage for all wildlife shooting in nearly all other situations when theres sufficient light about.

With the 7100 I never used it in a blind so cannot really be of much use to you - I used it for macro and always with flash, never going over 400 ISO, I didn't like 800 even.

Thanks for the reply.. I also have a real dislike of noise and I agree full frame is the only way in low light, but my budget doesn't really go any further than the D7200 unfortunately.. do you have any experience or knowledge of the D610 or D700 ???

More
16 May 2016 12:39 #3746 by Paul TW
I don't but I think Ton has a 700 so maybe he can add something.

More
16 May 2016 19:15 #3747 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: Great slaty woodpecker Mulleripicus pulverulentus
D700 is a good camera in low-light in my opinion, but maybe I am more noise-tolerant than Paul ;-)
Of course it depends what you use your images for. If only for internet publication, there is little to worry about, unless you need to crop heavily.

The D700 is better in low light than my new D810. Not strange of course, because the D700 has 12 million pixels, while the D810 has 36 milion, and of course the smaller the pixel, the more noise you get, simply because larger pixels are more accurate. I often use auto-ISO which i set to a maximum of 3200 on my D700.
On the D810, I would rather not go further than 1600, but still occasionally I do go up to 3200.

I personally prefer a noisy picture over a blurry shot or no shot at all.
And to be honest in my opinion up to 3200 the noise on both these bodies is in most cases not very ugly.

I normally don't use the in-camera noise-reduction, because often I think it is more ugly than the noise itself, but that is just my personal opinion.
There are however nice methods to reduce it in post. Noise is usually most annoying on smooth out of focus backgrounds, but at the same time reducing noise in those backgrounds is quite easy.

If shooting in low-light is very important, surely a full frame is the best option. But maybe you prefer the extra reach you get with a DX frame. You're a bird photographer, so the extra reach of a DX might be more important, unless you have a long lens.
One of the reasons I bought the D810, is because it has enough resolution to crop significantly. And with a simple press on the button and turning the wheel (menu setting) you can switch to DX mode and still have 15 mp left, get a higher frame rate, and small file size.
Saved me from having to buy/ carry around two bodies (1 DX and 1 FX).

In the end those D7*** camera are all great cameras, and can all make great images that could win a Wildlife Photographer of the Year award.

More
16 May 2016 20:08 #3748 by bootly66
Thanks to both of you for your knowledgeable words. I'm still not sure which way to go FX or DX .. Price really is a big issue for me. I've just had the offer of a factory modded D600. so i my go with that.... anyway cheers for all your help

More
Moderators: bootly66