What are they ?

27 May 2016 08:08 - 27 May 2016 18:56 #3773 by Robby L
Robby L created the topic: What are they ?
Saw two birds at Khao Pu- Khao Ya National Park that I haven't been able to ID. The first is an all green Barbet which may be a young Red-throated, I saw several of these

The second was at the bottom of a high cliff with many bee hives. It is thrush size and in fight it appeared to have slim wings almost like a swift.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2016 08:45 #3774 by bootly66
bootly66 replied the topic: What are they ?
i would say Green-eared Barbet and Blue rockthrush.. both look juvenile..

More
27 May 2016 10:04 #3775 by Robby L
Robby L replied the topic: What are they ?
I thought Blue Rock Thrush also but it is like no other I have see and I have seen several including the sub species Philippinis.

Did not think of Green-eared as it is a more northern species, it was also smaller than the Red-Throated which is prominent in the area.

More
27 May 2016 11:52 #3777 by bootly66
bootly66 replied the topic: What are they ?
sorry , I didn't read your location... yes, red-throated barbet juvenile but still think blue rockthrush

More
27 May 2016 22:45 #3779 by andymerk
andymerk replied the topic: What are they ?
I think it could be juvenile white-throated rock thrush

More
29 May 2016 18:24 #3787 by wildambience
wildambience replied the topic: What are they ?
I'd say the juvenile barbet in photos 2-4 is a Red-throated based on bill shape and what species are likely at that site. However the barbet in the first picture seems to have a smaller bill - was this a different bird Robby? It looks more like the size/shape of a Blue-eared Barbet.

The rock thrush is a tough one! I'd say a juvenile male Blue Rock Thrush which is acquiring it's adult plumage. The rump and back is a fairly uniform slaty colour which I wouldn't expect on a White-throated Rock Thrush. I think females/juveniles of both species can have whitish throats.

More
22 Jun 2016 13:30 #3867 by Robby L
Robby L replied the topic: What are they ?
Thank you all for your input, been away for a couple of months so sorry for the delay in answering.

All the Barbets I posted are different birds there were quite a few of the all green ones around but all to far for good quality photos.

I will go with Juvenile Blue-rock Thrush and Juvenile Red-throated Barbet

More
Moderators: bootly66