Early for the birds?

20 Nov 2016 12:22 - 24 Nov 2016 10:13 #4056 by Paul TW
Paul TW created the topic: Early for the birds?
I was in Kaeng Krachan this weekend, the pace was very slow and the weather very mixed with a night time downpour and mixed cloud in the day. As the birders have not turned up yet (if memory serves me right they start to arrive in numbers starting end of January?) I decided to try my non-birders hand to some bird photography.

I had about 5 hours at the birders spot at km 18 which resulted in just one bird coming into view in the whole 5 hours - the Tickell's blue flycatcher that is always there. Then I had about 4 hours the next morning a little deeper, there was lots of bird song but little activity on the forest floor and had just two visitors, the first one a babbler of some kind whom I had the fascinating experience of listening to a small group of 4 actually "babbling" and the second a robin????

Not sure - a robin?....
A babbler of some kind? .........
Any help with IDs greatly appreciated
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2016 12:44 #4058 by bootly66
bootly66 replied the topic: Early for the birds?
No 1 Blue-throated Flycatcher (female)
No 2 Puff-throated Babbler
nice shots...

More
20 Nov 2016 12:48 - 20 Nov 2016 13:02 #4059 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: Early for the birds?
Thanks Brian, as always!!

More
13 Feb 2017 09:46 - 13 Feb 2017 12:55 #4241 by Paul TW
Had a couple of nice days at Kaeng Krachan this last week, weather was fantastic - the crowds scared me off on Saturday though (long weekend). I had two days of sitting at some of the birders' spots in the park, which was nice and solitary, got my zen going. Also met Watcharabul "Note" Leesuwan, in the forest, he's is a very very well known movie actor as well as a naturalist - what a really nice guy he was, I was super impressed. We were having a chat and then he went off to pick up peoples' rubbish and put it in his car - what a great person!

I added a few common birds to my little collection of birding pictures and also did some video experiments (more of that on another day) - here are some of the birds I saw - seems to be getting better, bird action wise, now (Feb 11).

More
13 Feb 2017 14:50 - 13 Feb 2017 14:57 #4242 by Paul TW
And this is something a little different - not the bird ( a puff throated babbler I have photographed before) but the file - its a frame grab from a 4K video.

The photos above are all from full frame 5000+ px files with virtually no cropping, but its very interesting to me the quality you can now get from frame grabs on 4K at the moment - a step nearer the end of "photography as we know it" ? You can comfortably pull over 3800 px of very good quality jpeg.
Attachments:

More
13 Feb 2017 15:52 - 13 Feb 2017 15:53 #4243 by rushenb
rushenb replied the topic: Early for the birds?
While 3800 px out of Video is impressive, it is far from over about pixel race.. There are already many monitor models by almost all major manufacturers at 3840x2160px, 5120x2880px monitors already out there and more manufacturers coming with their version, we are not too many years behind before we see 10,000px wide models will show up on the market.. That is one reason I am trying to take my shots as frame filling as possible, to make them future proof.

But I think 3000-4000px photos are more than enough for article content for at least coming decade.

More
19 Feb 2017 19:45 #4244 by bootly66
Who did i see at KK yesterday?? Noticed the stickers on the back of the pick ups and got a wave ??

More
20 Feb 2017 06:44 - 05 Mar 2017 10:16 #4248 by Paul TW
A black one a grey one? Ed must have given you a wave, where was it - where were you? I was there Friday on a video practice day (oh dear - v. long lens vdo, not easy), and then on Saturday we did a "point to point" (no trail).

More
20 Feb 2017 07:33 #4249 by bootly66
Yes, Mitsu and Toyota i think... I was about half way along the road leaving the park.. white Ford Ranger

More
Moderators: bootly66