Black kite (Milvus migrans)

03 Jan 2017 16:15 - 03 Jan 2017 16:34 #4166 by Paul TW
Paul TW created the topic: Black kite (Milvus migrans)
Over Xmas and the New Year I only got a couple of days off but was not so bothered as its usually hell for staying inside most NPs over the break due to crowds.

Geoff had mentioned to me a place near to Bangkok that I might try one morning - a place in Nakorn Nayok called Pak Phli. So I went for an internet explore and found all the info I needed on Brian's excellent birding site at www.thaibirdspot.com . Thanks Brian!

Brian has details of how to find the place as well as a map of the immediate area and some trip reports as well on his site, so I will let you look them up there ......... www.thaibirdspot.com/pak-phli . Also check his blog as he has a couple of trip reports for the place as well.

It was a very interesting place especially for the mass of black eared kites (literally hundreds) that roost there - am not sure if its all year round?? I had a couple of mornings there, one of the mornings the light was bad though - I think I will make a return as I have unfinished business with photographing the flying kites in good morning light, its quite difficult to get the underside of their wings lit up as they tended to rise after the sun had gotten up a bit too much causing shadows on their wing undersides.

Well worth a look!!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bootly66

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2017 17:05 #4167 by bootly66
bootly66 replied the topic: Black kite (Milvus migrans)
Thanks so much for the heads up... let me know when you fancy another trip there.. .It's a great place...

More
04 Jan 2017 07:43 - 07 Jan 2017 11:37 #4169 by Geoff Potter
Geoff Potter replied the topic: Black kite (Milvus migrans)
There are two Kites to be seen there: the Black Kite (Milvus migrans) and the Black Eared Kite (Milvus Lineatus) or are they sub species? The former is resident and the latter is a winter visitor and passage migrant.
Anyway these are all Black Kites (except the first picture??), the Black eared is now all over the rice paddies in Phetburi but tends to get ignored as birders search for wintering eagles.

Heres another guy that can be found up there in winter, look for all the birders in hides and you should be able to get a shot
!
Attachments:

More
07 Jan 2017 07:38 #4176 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: Black kite (Milvus migrans)
Nice! I really like how the background colour compliments the bird colour!

I never saw anybody there both times I visited. Lucky me !

More
Moderators: bootly66