Baya Weaver (Ploceus philippinus)

09 Jun 2013 07:21 - 09 Jun 2013 16:58 #1093 by Paul TW
Paul TW created the topic: Baya Weaver (Ploceus philippinus)
From WIKI .....

"The Baya Weaver (Ploceus philippinus) is a weaverbird found across South and Southeast Asia. Flocks of these birds are found in grasslands, cultivated areas, scrub and secondary growth and they are best known for their hanging retort shaped nests woven from leaves. These nest colonies are usually found on thorny trees or palm fronds and the nests are often built near water or hanging over water where predators cannot reach easily. They are widespread and common within their range but are prone to local, seasonal movements mainly in response to rain and food availability....."

The Baya Weaver - Ploceus philippinus burmanicus - constructing nests in Khao Kheow (May 2013)

To get the weaver bird in flight I had to push the camera to 1/5000 of a second. Nikon D7100 and Sigma 500 HSM. I wrote a review of this lens many moons ago (Sigma 500 review here ) . It still remains my sole long lens except for the older Nikon 80-400 which is my one of my favourites for keeping in the bottom of my pack on hikes. I was interested to note that the Canon 500 is now significantly (+2000 USD) more expensive than the Nikon in the states. Thats a change since I wrote my old review. I am still very happy with the Sigma, 6 years together so far :ohmy: .
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2013 10:19 #1098 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: Baya Weaver (Ploceus philippinus)
Nice shots!
It's the males nest, if I'm correct, right? The females nests/ breeding nest have the long entrance tube, while the male just has this nest to sleep in.

More
12 Jun 2013 12:49 - 13 Jun 2013 15:17 #1099 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: Baya Weaver (Ploceus philippinus)
Interesting, I did not know that. I had to resort to the internet to find out more (I know really little about birds) and you are right - the male does not finish the nest off until he has a mate. The tree had about 5 finished nests and 3 or 4 unfinished but I saw no activity on the finished nests. All the activity was a group of males working on their nest building. I will head back next week or so to have another look and hope the suns out.

Some days I think I wish I was a birder - they seem to have so much fun and always see something.

More
Moderators: bootly66