Green magpies

01 Sep 2013 11:34 - 22 Sep 2015 09:45 #1353 by Ray Pearce
Ray Pearce created the topic: Green magpies
Took some shots of green magpies at Ban Song Nok a few weeks ago. They are just gorgeous birds and as I was about to leave the hide they appeared out of nowhere. Apparently it had been three years since they had been seen there so I was very lucky. They hung around for five minutes or so and the group also included the rare worn bird with azure blue feathers. This was quite simply a wonderful birding experience.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ray Pearce
  • Ray Pearce's Avatar Topic Author
01 Sep 2013 13:03 - 01 Sep 2013 13:12 #1356 by admin
admin replied the topic: Green magpies
Beautiful birds and images Ray. They are all fantastic but the first one has something about it that really really works, maybe the coloration vis a vis the background tint. Fantastic!

More
01 Sep 2013 18:28 #1357 by Bagheera
Bagheera replied the topic: Green magpies
Ray, What an entry!! These are such beautiful birds and your pictures are stunning!!

Was great to meet you in KK, hopefully bump into you in the field again some day..

More
01 Sep 2013 22:46 #1359 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: Green magpies
Beautiful pictures of these beautiful birds. I've never managed to get a decent picture of these. Maybe waiting in a hide would pay off.
After I had learned to recognize their calls I found out they are more common (in Khao Yai at least) than I thought. But even when hearing them nearby you can stand still for quite a while looking around and sometimes not even see the slightest movement.
But seeing your results will probably help me to be even more patient next time I hear them...

More
02 Sep 2013 09:08 #1363 by Ray Pearce
Ray Pearce replied the topic: Green magpies
Thanks guys for all the positive comments about the photos. I really appreciate it as I'm still learning how to get decent shots. I've seen green magpies in Kao Yai once and got a rubbish shot in the dark forest and I've also seen a solitary one fly across the road on the way to Bang Krang just before the dirt road begins. I was just lucky I think on this occasion to have a great chance to photograph them. Special birds and a special memory.

• Ray Pearce
  • Ray Pearce's Avatar Topic Author
Moderators: bootly66