[SOLVED] Eagle ID help?

30 Sep 2013 17:47 #1413 by Paul TW
Paul TW created the topic: Eagle ID help?
An eagle - showing my lack of knowledge about birds there!!

The ranger said it liked to eat snakes. I looked in my little book and thought it could be a crested serpent eagle, but its guess really. Any ideas?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2013 20:14 #1414 by Bagheera
Bagheera replied the topic: Eagle ID help?
Nice shot! you have achieved a lovely creamy background there, works well!!

I reckon that is a crested serpent eagle as you suggest, however this is only from comparing the pic to others on the internet so hardly the final word!

I have however sent the pic to a Thai birding guide that I know in the hope that he will have a positive ID.

UPDATE: he has literally just replied as I was writing this message and has confirmed that you were right with your original identification!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul TW

More
30 Sep 2013 21:35 - 30 Sep 2013 21:40 #1416 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: Eagle ID help?
Nice shot!
I might be wrong, but judging from the leaves in the background and the branch it is sitting on which I think is part of the same tree, it's one of the tree species (I have no idea what tree species it is, but it is rather characteristic, very open, usually quite horizontal branches) these birds tend to favor to rest on or hunt(?) from. I guess it offers them a great view.

BTW Not sure if not being able to identify an eagle shows a lack of knowledge of birds.
I've too found it very hard, especially because birds of prey tend to be different in seasons/ life stadium/ localities. And some species are very much alike.

Though, this species, indeed the Crested Serpent Eagle, in adult form is one of the species I confidently dare to identify as such. It's probably the most common bird of prey I've seen in Khao Yai. I've seen a few juveniles which, even though they shared some characteristics of the adults, were quite different and could make identification harder. The yellow feather-less part near the bill is a characteristic that I haven't seen in other birds of prey in the area.

In flight, seen from below, the adults have a dark band at the outer edge of the wing followed by a broad light band. And same on the bottom side of the tail. This pattern, as far as I know, does not occur in other birds of prey in the country, so that makes identification when in flight quite easy.

Here a pic that shows this banding.

The pattern on the feathers on the belly is very characteristic as well. I can't find a picture in my collection showing it, though.

It's a beautiful bird, but I love snakes so I have mixed feelings about it ;).
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul TW

More
30 Sep 2013 22:48 - 01 Oct 2013 10:00 #1419 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: Eagle ID help?
Many thanks for the help with the ID! I don't normally take bird pictures but it was just sat right in front of me so I could not resist.

Crested Serpent Eagle (Spilornis cheela)

Fantastic picture there onflipflops!

More
Moderators: bootly66