A Katydid Nymph?

10 Oct 2011 21:31 - 30 May 2013 07:22 #342 by
created the topic: A Katydid Nymph?
This is another that has me stumped, when I took the photos I was sure I was taking a photo of an ant but on seeing the photo I now realize that it is obviously not. Saying that the resemblance to an ant could be part of its evolutionary defence.

I am struck by three things, a) the strong hind legs - which make me immediately think Orthoptera (grasshopper, crickets and Katydids) b) the long antenna - which is making me think Tettigoniidae (i.e. Katydid) and c) the blue colouring in the legs which is hinting Orthoptera again.

I am going to stick my neck out and hazard a guess of a Katydid nymph (i.e. on of the stages on route to adult hood). What do you think?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 's Avatar Topic Author
28 May 2013 09:06 - 28 May 2013 10:40 #1053 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: A Katydid Nymph???
Have just got back from holiday and one of the books I took to read was Piotr Naskrecki's excellent The Smaller Majority. And on page 134 there is an almost identical mimicking labelled as "Eurycorypha sp." I did a bit of digging this morning to find an online version of Piotr's photo lablelled as "Katydid (Eurycorypha sp) nymph, Guinea, West Africa" photo here

Order: Orthoptera
Family: Tettigoniidae
Subfamily: Phaneropterinae
Genus: Eurycorypha

Wiki quotes "Eurycorypha is a genus of insect in family Tettigoniidae, commonly known as Bush crickets (ED: or Katydid'). The genus is indigenous to Sub-Saharan Africa and Madagascar..."

So.... will have to conclude this at the family level and leave it as a Katydid: ant mimicking nymph.

More
05 Jul 2013 22:12 #1143 by angiud
angiud replied the topic: A Katydid Nymph???
Got one similar/same here in Koh Phangan:

Ant Mimic Cricket[/url

More
07 Jul 2013 15:39 #1149 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: A Katydid Nymph???
One from Khao Ang Rue Nai Wildlife Sanctuary as well that was lurking on my hard disk.

Definitely all look the same.

Attachments:

More