Field Guide to the Reptiles of Thailand

17 Mar 2015 08:04 - 08 Sep 2015 18:01 #2761 by Paul TW
Paul TW created the topic: Field Guide to the Reptiles of Thailand
I just got a copy of the following book in my mailbox this morning and am well impressed. It follows a similar written format (but larger and more improved) to the Large Mammals of Thailand Field Guide with illustrations, details and the very useful Thai range maps.

A Field Guide to the Reptiles of Thailand
Authors: Tanya Chan-Ard, Jarujin Nabhitabhata, John W. K. Parr

Click here for details and pages on Google of A Field Guide to the Reptiles of Thailand

I just have to see an actual snake now to put it to good use :+)

From the intro.............

"Thailand is home to over 350 species of reptiles, consisting of many kinds of turtles and tortoises, lizards, snakes and crocodiles. With its extensive network of protected areas, Thailand is one of the richest and most ecologically diverse countries in the world. However, many of these species are being threatened more than ever before, including habitat loss caused by agricultural expansion and intensification, and from wildlife trade. For herpetologists and naturalists, understanding the reptiles of Thailand is now more important than ever before. With A Field Guide to the Reptiles of Thailand, Tanya Chan-ard, John Parr, and Jarujin Nabhitabhata present the definitive resource for identifying and understanding all known species of reptile in the region. It is the only updated and complete guide to the country's reptilian life in existence. The book contains an account of every species, complete with nomenclature, colour illustrations, and range maps of known locations. The accounts include discussion of behaviour, morphological measurements, and habitat, as well as the most current information on each species' conservation status. The authors explain the current system of classifying the threat level of endangerment, making the presented information and terminology understandable and useful. The introduction to the book discusses the history of herpetology in Thailand, as well as its climate, physiography, and zoogeography. A section on how to use the guide most effectively has also been included to make the book accessible to a wide range of both scientists and nature enthusiasts. A Field Guide to the Reptiles of Thailand is the definitive and most comprehensive resource for herpetologists, naturalists, and conservationists working in Thailand."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2015 08:27 - 17 Mar 2015 08:50 #2763 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: Book - A Field Guide to the Reptiles of Thailand
Thanks for sharing the link. I heard that it was published recently, and read it was available as an ebook, but I could not find it on my quick search (I'm not used to buying eBooks...).
I will definitely place my order. The range maps are probably the most important feature, something that I haven't seen so far in any book.
Now it is only waiting for a first proper Amphibian field guide...

@Trekker: Did you buy the actual printed version, or the eBook? I'm still having trouble finding a printed version in a Thai book store.

More
17 Mar 2015 10:03 - 17 Mar 2015 15:40 #2765 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: Book - A Field Guide to the Reptiles of Thailand
I got the hard copy (i.e. an actual book) - bought it on Amazon.

More
07 Sep 2015 22:49 #3101 by onflipflops
In the meanwhile I have ordered the eBook, only to find out that I don't like eBook guide books.
After that I found a book store in Thailand that sells it, though it took quite a few weeks before it arrived.
But it was worth the waiting!
In my opinion t's the best book of the 4 reptiles guide books about this region that I own.
I decided to write a review about it, and also mention in some cases how it compares to some of the other guide books.

The full review can be found on:
wildlifeofthailand.com/blog/books-and-ge...land-tanya-chan-ard/

I have also added links to the book store in Thailand, and some other options to buy it on the above review page.

More
08 Sep 2015 18:37 #3104 by admin
admin replied the topic: Book - A Field Guide to the Reptiles of Thailand
Great review flip-flops - interesting to read a review from someone with knowledge (a "herper") .

Great website as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: onflipflops

More
08 Sep 2015 20:43 #3106 by onflipflops
Thanks!

More