Not sure - frog or snake lovers.....

08 Jul 2015 19:57 - 29 Sep 2015 17:56 #2977 by bootly66
bootly66 created the topic: Not sure - frog or snake lovers.....
I took this at Sri Pang Nga NP.. Not sure what either are (other than frog and snake) IDs would be appreciated..
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bo Christensen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2015 20:59 #2978 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: Not sure if this for the frog or snake lovers.....
I'm not a frog expert (you could join Thai Herpetography group on facebook and post it there; quite a few very knowledgable people on there!)
And for the snake I can only confirm that it is a Bronzeback (Dendrelaphis sp.)
Not sure about the species occuring down south. Also for that, Thai Herpetography will bring you the answer. Though they might possibly need a more detailed shot of the head, but maybe not ;)

More
08 Jul 2015 21:01 #2979 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: Not sure if this for the frog or snake lovers.....
Totallly forgot to mention that it is a very cool shot!
And lucky to encounter a snake with prey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bootly66

More
29 Sep 2015 11:07 #3167 by NN
NN replied the topic: Not sure if this for the frog or snake lovers.....
Nice shot. I hope I'm not hijacking the thread. A while ago I was out with the camera, when a frog came bouncing a long, with a snake in chase, the snake won.

Attachments:

More
29 Sep 2015 12:21 #3168 by bootly66
bootly66 replied the topic: Not sure if this for the frog or snake lovers.....
Nice shot..........

More
29 Sep 2015 23:16 #3169 by onflipflops
Nice sighting!

It's a Golden Tree Snake, Chrysopelea ornata; one of the three flying (read: gliding) snake species of Thailand. They also love to eat geckos including big Tockay geckos. They don't always win the battle with the Tockays.
Despite inflating itself, it seems like a loosing battle for the frog. They are mildly venomous, rear-fanged, but not sure if this has much effect in the killing of the prey. As seen in one of your shots, they often seem to strangle their prey.
They are diurnal and have good vision for locating prey or potential danger.

More
30 Sep 2015 17:33 #3171 by NN
NN replied the topic: Not sure - frog or snake lovers.....
They are very common around our house, the other day I came out of the bathroom and one was eating a gecko on the living room floor. I also have shots of one eating a small bats, but the quality is poor.

Regarding the Tokay, here is a myth about the snake entering it's mouth to eat it's liver. Googling it seems the snake strangles the snake, forcing it to open it's mouth so the snake can steal it's food. We saw this happening here once, the Thais went mad thinking it was eating the Tokay's liver. Wish I'd had a camera then. www.jenogi.com/archives/434

More
01 Oct 2015 00:46 #3172 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: Not sure - frog or snake lovers.....
Haha, I love those myths. But now way would the snake go after the stomach contents of the gecko. It just wants to eat the gecko, and that includes the liver (and stomach contents) ;)

They are indeed very common throughout the country. Love to stay under the roofs where their food - the geckos - also stay.
And with their ability to glide it's the only snake so far that I have seen falling from the sky. Snakes rarely fall, they always hold on, but I have seen this species drop out of a tree from about 3-4m high, landing right next to a Oriental Garden Lizard, which had a lucky escape despite the surprise attack from above.
The two related species in the far South of Thailand are very cool as well, sadly a bit too far off for me to go and look for them. And from what I have heard they're not as common as this species.

More
01 Oct 2015 06:19 - 01 Oct 2015 06:19 #3173 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: Not sure - frog or snake lovers.....
www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10382464...92326&type=3&theater

Saw this yesterday - click on the photo, there a series of them

More
01 Oct 2015 11:39 #3174 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: Not sure - frog or snake lovers.....
It's surely not without risk attacking a Tockay which has a very strong bite and they tend to hold on. Though

You might have seen this one before, but anyway, for those who haven't. Quite amazing behaviour.

It's a video of a Tockay successfully saving his mate from the strangling power of this Golden Tree Snake.
Also nice to note how these snakes can hold themselves on a vertical surface.

More