Snake

14 Feb 2016 19:47 - 14 Feb 2016 21:02 #3422 by Geoff Potter
Geoff Potter created the topic: Snake
Nearly trod on this guy whilst birding at the weekend, I was actually pushing through the undergrowth to see a much larger specimen of the same type, that one was a good 4 meters long. The one in the photo was smaller, male and female? What species?

The deer or (muntjac?) spent a few minutes watching me in my bird hide. I was amazed how its approach and departure were totally silent.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2016 10:37 #3423 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: Snake
Cool find Geoff!
That's a Reticulated Python, the world's longest snake. Where exactly did you find it? I have seen one with a 'white' nose before.
I also got to see one a 3 days back in Kaeng Krachan. Also a beauty that seemed just to have shedded skin, which I think is also the case with the one in your image. The colors are very strong and contrasty, which generally indicates it just shedded.
From my experience February is always a great month for pythons. I guess that they get active after the cooler winter, but since the nights are still not too warm, they seem to choose more visible spots to bask. That's my theory.
Anyhow, great find! And glad you did not step on it. Even though not venomous, pythons have a few rows of teeth and a powerful bite. In a perfect strike it will leave a very bloody and bruised bite mark.
I guess when they reach over 4m long you have to be a bit careful if you are alone. Untangling them can be quite a challenge without help of another person.
But in general no need to worry about these type of snakes.

More
15 Feb 2016 10:41 #3424 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: Snake
Cool shots by the way!
It's great to see how well these snakes blend in between the leaf litter.

And the deer is a Fea's Muntjac, one of Thailand's 15 reserved species. Love the haircut ;-)

More
15 Feb 2016 14:00 #3427 by Geoff Potter
Geoff Potter replied the topic: Snake
The pictures don't really do the snake justice, the yellow and black lines were extremely vivid which is what confused me when i tried to look it up.
This was taken opposite the large salt lick where the old good road used to end, KM 8? I heard it first, I didn't see it , and presumed by the constant rustling sounds in the dry leaves that there were a group of partridges heading my way. As i pushed through the bushes I nearly trod on the smaller one later photographed. The one making the sound was much larger and later curled into a huge ball beneath the roots of a tree. Mating behavior?

More
15 Feb 2016 14:57 #3428 by rushenb
rushenb replied the topic: Snake
Very nice shot of the Fea's muntjac! :)

I was also in Kaeng Krachan this week-end, searched the whole area around km 9 twice, meter by meter, didn't see any retic. I am the only one not seeing a retic seems like (Paul also saw one at km 9).

More