× Over 400 species of birds are known to occur within the Park’s boundaries, and 57 mammals. Larger mammals include elephant, gaur, sambar deer, banteng, serow, and bear, indo-chinese tiger, leopard, both common and Fea’s muntjac. Malayan tapir, white-handed gibbon, dusky and banded langurs, Asian wild dog, otter, and wild boar.

Kaeng Krachan - Pakarang Mountain route

08 Nov 2009 02:55 - 17 May 2013 13:23 #124 by
created the topic: Kaeng Krachan - Pakarang Mountain route
Firstly you will notice the are two tracks shown on the image (click on the image to see it bigger), the reason for this was that we were trying to find the Khao Pakarang route from information that was available on the internet ( see the alternative KK post which shows information sourced from the interet) and found the origional track (in red) at 11 km into the park, just after the second of the two road bridges. This track shows much sign of animal life is an elephant route also, passing through 3 streams and recent evidence of mammals at each water source (deer, gaur, elephant) with footprints and scat. We also saw dusky langur and heard banded langur on the trail. After the 1 km the trail become harder to follow as there are so many animal tracks and routes but judging from this image you should follow the stream to join up with the main track.

By far the easiest way to find the trail is at Bang Krang Camp (the GREEN trail on the image). Head for the Bang Krang Nature Trail and keep walking up the old road rather than going on the nature trail. You will come to a small metal barrier across the road and thats the starting point. The trail is very easy to follow as it is an old rangers road to what was a ranger camp that has been abandoned after being destroyed by elephants. Its a delightful trail and very little change in elevation, it meanders through the valley bottom and crosses forest streams several times. these streams are an excellent place to rest or laze and take in the tranquility of it all. The stream themselves are packed with life and deserve a good inspection.

The trail is criss crossed by hundreds of animal tracks and routes and evidence of elephant, deer and gaur is everywhere as were Dhole tracks. The trail culminates at an abandoned forest ranger station. If you don't like sweat bees remember to take a hat as there were a lot of these harmless insects at the station.

Apparently the track should also lead to Khao Pakarang at around the 4 km mark but we did not see the spur - if anyone knows were the track spur is pls let me know. Pakarang is supposed to have Gibbon and Langur but we did not hear any of those in the valley (probably as the habitat did not suit them as the valley is not primary forest like the sides of the mountains).

Important facts

Length of trail :: GREEN trail 17 km (round trip)
Hiking time :: 4 to 5 hours (includes return)
Difficulty level :: easy (scale : easy, moderate, hard, ouch)
Terrain :: along a river course and through mixed evergreen forest
Minimum essentials :: 1.5 L water (note you can fill up at the streams if you run out), sugar source, snacks

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 's Avatar Topic Author
08 Nov 2009 14:22 - 16 Jul 2012 17:08 #125 by Trekker
Trekker replied the topic: Kaeng Krachan - Pakarang Mountain route
The GPS track for the above Kaeng Krachan trail can be downloaded by clicking below

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Trekker
  • Trekker's Avatar Topic Author
13 Jun 2011 19:31 - 15 Oct 2012 12:16 #297 by jamiep
jamiep replied the topic: Kaeng Krachan - Pakarang Mountain route
Thanks a lot for this post and your other KK posts. I live up in CM but have come down to Hua Hin for a few months and want to do some exploring, especially of KK national park.

I have got hold of all the military maps available for the area from the Royal Thai Survey Department see http://cmhike.com/2010/09/new-thai-mili ... -released/

Have scanned the maps and made them into Google Earth overlays that I can also use in my Garmin Oregon 450 GPS, I attach a screen shot of the areas covered.

Attachments:

• jamiep
13 Jun 2011 19:37 #298 by jamiep
There is another trail marked on the military maps opposite to this one. The foot trails marked on the military maps are not always entirely reliable. But did you see any evidence of a trail there? I attach another screen shot from Google Earth.

I have two very well behaved dogs with me and normally take them on hikes with me. I am wondering if I can take my dogs with me to explore this area. I think they will have to stay on leash if there is wildlife in the forest. Most National Parks have a blanket policy of not allowing in dogs although often rangers keep dogs in the parks, I wonder whether I will be able to bring my dogs in.

• jamiep
13 Jun 2011 19:41 - 15 Oct 2012 12:16 #299 by jamiep
Here is the trail marked on the other side of the track.

Attachments:

• jamiep
13 Jun 2011 19:43 - 15 Oct 2012 12:16 #300 by jamiep
There appears possibly to be a trail parallel to the one you explored??

Attachments:

• jamiep
14 Jun 2011 01:57 #301 by Trekker
Hi Jamie,

The military maps look fascinating. There are lots of trails in KK that are simply not signposted both in the Bang Krang area and up the mountain also. I have the impression this is done on purpose to deter the more adventurous of us from getting lost and to reinforce the need for a guide. A message I keep ignoring myself, maybe to my detriment one day ;+)

It seems quite common in all the central Thailand parks - is it the same in the north?

Now I am the first to admit that I am no expert (or even close) when it comes to KK. Its a park that fascinates me and I have hunted trails myself only to find them disappear after 500 meters or so OR get obscured by the many crossing animal trails (which are sometime bigger than the walking trails).

There are also trails that used to "exist" that are now fallowed. The trail "opposite" that you have highlighted is an old road and still does exist although the entrance is not posted, you can see still the road entrance - the info I was given was that it was closed to traffic some years ago to reduce impact on predators in the area. I have only walked about 50 meters up it to check if was a route and its still a strong track. There will be lots of rainy season growth at the moment.

The other trail I don't know about. But I would bet it is still there somewhere. Theres lots of elephants in this general area so be careful.

The dogs will definitely not be allowed in. Not in the least for their own safety - theres LOTS of wildlife in KK.

Am absolutely fascinated about what you learn about KK. Remember that Bang Krang/Panoenthung are closed for the months of Aug, Sept and Oct.

Paul

• Trekker
14 Jun 2011 03:31 #304 by jamiep
Hi Paul,

Mostly trails in the North are also not marked or sign posted. Indeed on one well know trail near to Monthaton Waterfall signs have recently been put up to forbid people to go into the forest on one trail, threatening a 500 B fine. Am not sure if the signs there are to stop people coming in through the back way to the waterfalls and possibly avoiding the 200 B National Park entrance fee to see the waterfall or whether maybe people have got lost in that area or had an accident and so they have tightened things up.

Am wondering about restriction to access to this off road track that goes to most of the trails in KK National Park past the Pakarang Mountain route and up to the other trail that you visited. I have read that you need a 4 wheel drive car to navigate it, which I have and that cars are only allowed up and down it at certain times of day. I presume that the road up to Pakarang Mountain route is open all year round and that you can drive up to their without restriction, after paying for entrance to the park? I did see some info somewhere about having to book several weeks before to enter the park but I suspect this is misinformation and that what they actually meant is you need to book possibly several weeks before to stay at the camp site in high season?

Jamie

• jamiep
14 Jun 2011 04:20 - 05 Jun 2015 12:19 #306 by
replied the topic: Kaeng Krachan - Pakarang Mountain route
I found the answer to my own question about times that the road is open on a birding web site you linked to :

For those wishing to head to the campsite at Km 30 (Panoen Tung) timing is important. From Bang Krang campsite the road is narrow and in poor repair and certain times are allotted for ascent and descent. Times for going up are 5.30-7.30 am and 1-3 pm. Times for going down are 9-10 am and 4-5 pm. These times are important for those with limited time.

14 Jun 2011 13:07 #308 by Trekker
Yes, the route to PanoenThung is a drivable road - you don't need a 4WD but need the clearance of a pickup as a minimum - a saloon or minibus would not make it (but some do!!).

The Pakarang route used to be a vehicle access track to an old ranger station (now closed as it was trashed by elephants) but is now foot only. Its still a good wide track that the rangers could get a vehicle down in the dry season.

I have never found the road mentioned in the "guides" as being drivable (and shown on the old TAT map in my "general notes" post)to Pakarang - I assume its history (as far a cars are concerned) and is one of those pieces of internet text that someone copied from an old old TAT guide and has now been cut and pasted all over the internet but is in truth a myth. You never know though with maps and directions in Thailand!

• Trekker
09 Oct 2012 17:32 #570 by Michal132
Michal132 replied the topic: Re: Kaeng Krachan - Pakarang Mountain route
I have translate that you need a 4 roller track car to direct it, which I make and that cars are exclusive allowed up and physician it at certain times of day. I act that the traveling up to Pakarang Mountain way is susceptible all twelvemonth pronounce and that you can journeying up to their without restriction.

• Michal132
10 Oct 2012 10:55 #575 by trekker
trekker replied the topic: Re: Kaeng Krachan - Pakarang Mountain route
Hi Michal,

for those wishing to go to Pakarang (coral) mountain (NOT Panoenthung), a new track (an old that has been closed for some years) has just been re-opened in 2012. I have not yet had chance to visit it as the park is still closed for the rainy season.

• trekker