× Over 400 species of birds are known to occur within the Park’s boundaries, and 57 mammals. Larger mammals include elephant, gaur, sambar deer, banteng, serow, and bear, indo-chinese tiger, leopard, both common and Fea’s muntjac. Malayan tapir, white-handed gibbon, dusky and banded langurs, Asian wild dog, otter, and wild boar.

North KKC

29 Jun 2017 14:00 - 05 Nov 2017 14:51 #4452 by Robby L
Robby L created the topic: North KKC

Sign of the wild East, yea these are real bullet holes not the stick on type.

While researching a route to Thai Prachan National Park I came across this waterfall which must be one of the few if not the only access point to the north of Kaeng Krachan. The access road is dirt for the last 9KM and the last 4KM from the last banana plantation is definitely 4WD although there are places where you can actually get up into second gear.

A little bit of the road.

From the end of the road it is about another 500M to a KM to the waterfall up a reasonably easy walking track, the waterfall itself is nothing flash and is on a side branch of the main stream, not a lot of water in the stream and even less in the waterfall. There is a ranger station of to the side of the road in but I saw no activity there and drove straight past.

Asian Fairy Bluebird, male.

It is big virgin forest with plenty of bird-life but no mammal sign, difficult to get good photos but walking the road might produce better results. I stayed up there for one night and walked the waterfall trail. If anyone is interested in having a look the GPS marks for the access road are; 13.186821 – 99.565140. But don’t go when there is or recently has been a lot of rain the road is bad enough without water on it.

Bar-winged Flycatcher-shrike
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul TW

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2017 14:21 #4453 by bootly66
bootly66 replied the topic: North KKC
Thanks for the info... I may well take a look on Saturday... The bullet holes don't look too welcoming tho.. Are there any facilities up there or at least any water??? Was it a camp ground you stayed at??

More
29 Jun 2017 19:26 #4454 by Robby L
Robby L replied the topic: North KKC
No facilities at all only clean water from the stream to wash in, no camping ground as such but plenty of space in the small parking area for a tent.

I sleep in the vehicle so I can stay anywhere, take all my food and drinking water.

More
29 Jun 2017 19:48 #4455 by bootly66
Thanks... yes , me too sleep in the back of the truck

More
29 Jun 2017 20:05 #4456 by bootly66
Just err-ing on the side of caution... Is there a telephone signal there?? If so which provider, if you know???

More
30 Jun 2017 07:29 #4457 by Robby L
Dont know but probably not.

More
30 Jun 2017 13:46 #4459 by Paul TW
Paul TW replied the topic: North KKC
Very interesting Robby - I once tried to go myself - but when I got to the concrete weir crossing it started peeing it down with rain so I turned back - will have to have another look when I am well - many thanks!

More
30 Jun 2017 16:11 #4461 by onflipflops
onflipflops replied the topic: North KKC
Sounds great. Do you happen to know what elevation this is?
You mentioned virgin forest. Is it comparable to the forest around the river crossings in the main accessible area of KK (km 15 - 18)? Or would you describe it differently?

More
30 Jun 2017 17:29 #4462 by rushenb
rushenb replied the topic: North KKC
Thanks for the valuable info about this place. :)

Paul; Glad to hear your are getting better. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul TW

More
01 Jul 2017 08:43 #4465 by Robby L
Think you have the 2 places mixed up Paul the weir is in Thai Prachan NP

O F F. Not very high but it is bigger and steeper forest than Ban Krang area. The road in is not steep but has some fairly hairy places while the track up the stream is quite flat

More
01 Jul 2017 12:03 - 05 Nov 2017 14:04 #4466 by Paul TW
Interesting - if you did not cross a small concrete weir then I was somewhere different or it got washed out as it was a year or so ago (not Thai Prakan though as I go there many times a year and know it very well). I was coming in on the 6026 - I will have to have a look again. All good stuff.

ADDENDUM: Same place - Robby entered from North, Paul was entering from South.

More
03 Nov 2017 13:59 - 05 Nov 2017 14:47 #4681 by Paul TW
Just had an attempt at this one (entering from South) but the road is out and the barrier down after the spring, blocking access - found an alternative route but had to turn back as the track went to a one wheel bike track only. Hopefully they will get it open again soon.

Update - turned off my garmin car gps and went to google maps - found the northern route straight away and was at the substation in 30 minutes - going back tomorrow for an explore.

The garmin has a mind of its own and kept wanting to do the southern route through the hot spring - it’s going into the bin on Monday. (UPDATE: The Garmin map (admittedly quite old) has a portion of the track to the substation missing on my version causing this issue)

More
05 Nov 2017 14:40 - 06 Nov 2017 10:05 #4682 by Paul TW
I went the next day and followed Robby's instructions and it was an interesting location. Nice find Robby! The sub-station (5) is 6 k from the entrance to the waterfall track. We took two 4WD's and I can say it was hairy in some sections - you are not getting up in anything less than a good 4WD at the moment, the top sections (last 2 ks of the track) are very damaged now with very deep rivulets.

The track up is bit weird because you are in the park but its full of small plantations and local farmers/collectors. These start to clear in the last two 2 kilos and theres a lot of bamboo as its an old logging track. But when you get to the top theres a small parking area (by the sign in Robby's post above) that marks the end of the track - we would have overnighted at this place but being hammock campers the were no suitable pitches out in the open. We ended up staying overnight at the Sub-station - as Robby has already mentioned, no phone signal, no facilities for tourists (i.e. toilets) - but the rangers were very accommodating so we pitched up there for the night. There was a family of gibbons in the trees above the sub-station when we arrived which was a surprise as its right next to agricultural land.

From the top parking area you are literally straight onto the trail that follows the stream. The trees and forest directly around the stream are very nice and once you get to the waterfall it is quite heavenly - I was really impressed by the waterfall which is at the convergence of two mountain streams - I must admit I was not expecting it to be as big as it was nor the surrounding area as beautiful. The kind of place you drop your pack and spend a couple of hours snoozing - knowing that the world is in fact a beautiful place.

We also decided to explore some more and found a trail going up the hill side - which was bit of battle as it was severely overgrown in the top sections - the track culminated in what looked to be an old hunters camp strewn with old plastic water bottles (at least 100) and discarded sardine tins. The forest in this section and on the tops of the hills was not so good and lacked trees of any size - it resembled the lower sections of forest around Khao Sam Yot.

It was surprisingly dry with the exception of the immediate vicinity to the stream, most probably because the soil is mainly sand and cannot hold water, hence the poor tree growth at the high sections.

As with Robby we struggled to find any mammal sign and only identified muntjac from ground signs, no scat of any kind. I would suspect illegal local hunting may be/have been a factor.

Elevations - the track starts at 440 m ASL, the waterfall is at 490 and the "camp" 590.

In a nutshell - good - but not great re animal sign/road/hunting/locals. If they sorted out the road I would go and explore more, but the road is the major issue at the moment.
Attachments:

More
05 Nov 2017 17:20 #4683 by rushenb
rushenb replied the topic: North KKC
Thanks for all update. Gibbons there sounds indeed very interesting. It is always smalls signs like that which says a bit about what to expect in areas like this; leeches, gibbons, hornbills, etc.. 590 asl also interesting.

Nice names to keep in mind; "old hunters camp". :)

More