Remember Me
Register
Facebook Login

Birding & bugging from Thanyaburi

21 Oct 2015 12:45 #3185 by roblgs
Replied by roblgs on topic Birding & bugging from Thanyaburi
Hi NN,

Thanks for the suggestions... is the canal you refer to 'Khlong Rangsit' by any chance? Runs parallel to the main road from the Ongarak junction to Rangsit... The area near the Srinakarin Hospital/university looks promising, though I've not had a chance to explore.

Will for sure be heading up towards KY at some point, just don't know when. Will be sure to drop you a message once a timeframe is known. Thanks for the offer!

Cheers

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Oct 2015 13:02 #3187 by NN
Replied by NN on topic Birding & bugging from Thanyaburi
Yes, that's it, Klong Rangsit. There's lots of open billed stork around there. If you were to make it to NN, there are resorts that are reasonably priced through the week. Maybe you could bring your wife and stay there? Sida resort is right on the park boundary.

21 Oct 2015 18:48 #3189 by roblgs
Separate reply on related matter via SMS, but this is more general...

Which way do you thing is better... From the Ongkarak junction towards Cakon Nayok (more rural), or from Ongkarak towards Rangsit (more roadside constructuion)

I know that it's not necessary to head too far away from the main road to get into paddy fields, but the Rangsit direction does seem to show more of a human footprint than heading towards Nakon Nayok.

Cheers

Rob

22 Oct 2015 12:32 #3190 by NN
I would suggest between Ongnarak and NN, there's a lot more trees and growth to hide in.

22 Oct 2015 14:00 #3193 by roblgs
That's what I expected... Do you have any favourite locations?

My interests are birds, reptiles and insect macro.

For reptiles I'd be interested in exploring snakes, though from a safe distance until I'm tuned into their behaviour... Non-venomous are idea,, though some of the vipers are spectacular... should be OK if shooting from about a metre distance or so!

There are some example shots on 500px ... The egrets and herons are taken at the big temple on Khlong 15, but would love to get kingfishers which I have not seen there. This place is an easy half-hour drive from home, so convenient for a couple of hours mid-late afternoon. Lizard and the Golden Tree snake are from the garden.

I need to look at the map... normally I follow the rangsit-NN main highway, but if going via Ongkarak is more direct to the park, and with other possibilities, I could explore the alternative route.

23 Oct 2015 13:55 #3201 by NN
Actually I've never visited there, but have considered shooting some storks in flight as they are very common there. If you can make your way to Nakhon Nayotk I can show some nice spots on the edge of the park.

23 Oct 2015 14:11 #3202 by roblgs
I've visited the Klong 15 temple a few times, during the dry season the water in the 'lily pond' area parallel to the river/khlong was at a very low level, allowing much closer approach to the birds than on a visit after it finally started raining... water then was very high and nothing like as many birds or photo opportunities. Asian Open Bill Storks were not very numerous on either occasion, easily outnumbered by greater and lesser egrets... Night heron numbers fluctuate, and the odd bittern could be heard, but not seen somewhere in the reed beds.

It feel a bit 'cheating' because the birds are there largely because of all the fish and frog offerings

Thanks for the offer of guidance... would love to take you up on it, just not quite sure when... may be a slim possibility this Sunday if you are free... I should be able to confirm by tomorrow morning at the latest if that is a possible for you.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph