National Park Cleaning day

17 Mar 2016 09:25 #3533 by Geoff Potter
Replied by Geoff Potter on topic National Park Cleaning day
I know I am treading on thin ice here and don't want to be accused of racism but frankly its the Chinese photographers doing this kind of thing. I collected a small bag of garbage from another blind and most of it was snack wrappers with Chines wording on it and Chinese cigarette packaging.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Apr 2016 20:16 - 09 Apr 2016 20:17 #3671 by rushenb
Replied by rushenb on topic National Park Cleaning day
Today, two of us did a "smaller" clean-up in Kaeng Krachan. We discussed over last few weeks if we should do or not, decided only the day before.

We started 6:30 am at the checkpoint and picked up litter on the right side of the road up until around km 13. By the time around lunch time the heat become too much so we had to cancel. We were so exhausted that we didn't want to wait until late afternoon to continue the last 2km.

Probably on Monday we will take left side of the road starting from checkpoint. I guess it will be same, we will give up around km 13, so the last 2 km to be cleared up another time.

Disappointingly most people started to drive in after 11 am, so mission partly failed. Only one lady took some photos.. :(

Attachments:

09 Apr 2016 22:35 #3672 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic National Park Cleaning day
Great work, too bad I was not around to help a hand.
Next time... well probably not, if you plan to go soon, but anyway.

10 Apr 2016 05:12 #3673 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic National Park Cleaning day
Well done Rushen! Great work.

24 Jan 2017 16:49 #4212 by rushenb
So what happened with next cleaning day session? :)

I haven't been to the park since mid November due to various reasons. Last time I was there, I already saw quite many litter along the first 15km.

24 Jan 2017 19:42 #4213 by Geoff Potter
Replied by Geoff Potter on topic National Park Cleaning day
Hi Rushen,

Well here's a picture of my last effort taken just after KKC opened. The mini dams were disintegrating and large plastic bags strewn from above KM 18 down to Bang Krang. I was a bit concerned about publishing the pics at the time for fear the rangers may think I was dropping them in it. For the record I didn't touch the dams themselves, only the bags that had broken loose and were floating downstream, well I may have given some of the dams a bit of a push!

Anyway, since then lots more bags seem to have broken loose so a walk from above KM 18 all the way down to Bang Krang collecting them as we go could be a good idea?

Attachments:

24 Jan 2017 23:41 #4214 by rushenb
I remember I read when you posted about it. :)

I didn't do any bigger effort but collected few as I found them while walking with friends. I will happily join if we can decide a time between to clean up km 15 to 18.

I don't like cleaning along the road on the dry season due to too much sun, but at the other hand, during the dry season the vegetation in ditches etc gets so dry that it is easier to spot litter. We did a bit cleaning in October between km 0 and 1.7 (before the checkpoint), it was so much vegetation that we barely could see some 20-30% of the litter.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2024 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.