BBC article on Tiger Poaching in HKK

More
5 years 3 months ago #813 by Bagheera
an informative read about the despicable methods of poaching and the uphill fight of prevention.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #838 by onflipflops
The end is near. Visited HKK for the first time, just 2 weeks ago. Very interesting place, can't wait to go back. Terrible to read about the methods the poachers use. Shooting is bad enough, but just randomly poisoning any carnivore that will be attracted by the traps they set, using meat of another endangered species, will soon get rid of many species. Just because of the greed of a few people. Is there no alternative for these organized poachers? E.g. Go drug dealing! That will only harm the people using the stuff, and they still have the choice to use it or not... In my opinion better than killing innocent animals that can't defend themselves (at least, not against weapons or poison...)

The main problem is of course the fact that people are paying top dollar for these products.
Is it not possible to sell a domesticated cat's penis or bones to the Chinese? They won't notice the difference... And it will certainly have the same (no) effect.

I did not really know how well organized the poachers are here in Thailand. Twice, I've encountered poachers. Once in Khao Yai and once in Khao Phanom Bencha. But these people looked like poor local villagers going out to collect some bush meat, and/ or valuable woods. Not exactly a well-organized gang getting out to find any of the more endangered animals. Though, no doubt they won't think twice if they get the chance to shoot a tiger. That said, I'm not sure if their equipment was powerful enough to bring an adult tiger down. And who would go after tigers in Khao Yai when there are next to none left? I know quite a few people that have seen tiger in Khao Yai, but all sightings are at least 8-10 years ago. We have heard rumours of a more recent (just a few months ago) sighting, but I'm not sure if this is true.
Many believe it's already extirpated in Khao Yai national park.
And even though I'm generally not very pessimistic, I don't see any quick solution that will prevent the same thing to happen to Huai Kha Khaeng, and elsewhere, in the next few years.

I'm ashamed to be human...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Cookies make it easier for us to provide you with our services. With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies.
More information Ok Decline