Pang Sida Ranger Killed by Poachers

5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #817 by Paul T
The second ranger to be killed this year alone by rosewood poachers in the Dong Phayayen - Khao Yai World Heritage Site.

What madness exists, when these poor civil servants who are paid a pittance to protect the Nation's Natural Resources are wantonly murdered. These rangers are the representatives of the Thai people, protecting Thai natural heritage for future generations. The poachers should be hunted down, as should their backers, and be incarcerated for this heinous crime.

Pang Sida Ranger murdered by poachers

Condolences

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #818 by Bagheera
every day I am astounded by the human race and how we harbour such evil specimens amongst us. May this poor rangers family find peace and that the people responsible are brought to justice. An 'eye for an eye' I say...

More
5 years 3 months ago #821 by jonathanbkk
Out of anger I am not sure my head is thinking clearly, but how can we help them? Chip in and buy them better guns? Last ones I saw them using I think could be sold as antiques

I hope the DNP, who was just protesting outside of the China embassy does something to vocalize this, CITES too...

More
5 years 3 months ago #828 by Xenocrab
Although the proposal by Thailand to list Siamese Rosewood as appendix II passed at the recent CITES CoP - China opposed its listing

www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/339353/ch...ade-in-phayung-trees

Also see briefing document from EIA www.eia-international.org/wp-content/upl...Rosewood-Robbery.pdf

China is still supporting government-owned ivory carving facilities and training schools for carvers and has contradictory laws leaving loopholes for tiger farming...

More
5 years 3 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #829 by Xenocrab
Armed rosewood poachers at work - how can you stop this?
- Support conservation groups that help rangers, they lack essential field equipment, GPS, Cameras to record evidence, provisions for patrols, hand-cuffs and even ammunition...all can be obtained if financial support is available
- Report suspicious activities if you see anything to the parks directly or the Department of National Parks hotline 1362 or Natural Resources and Environmental Crime Suppression Division (NRECD) hotline 1136
- Don't buy expensive wooden furniture, much wood is sourced illegally.

Attachments:

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #830 by Paul T

jonathanbkk wrote: Out of anger I am not sure my head is thinking clearly, but how can we help them?

As you may know, I searched a long while for something that motivated me to donate funds to, that I truly believed would have a chance of making a difference. The main one I have supported and continue to support is Freeland . They were very accommodating and let me make arrangements with them to specifically support Ranger support programs and the Surviving Together programme.

I highly recommend you consider it, I have been extremely happy with how and for what they have used my donations,such as; ranger kit; ranger training expenses; financial assistance to a Pang Sida Ranger who was seriously injured by a poachers gun trap; and the like.

More
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Cookies make it easier for us to provide you with our services. With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies.
More information Ok Decline