Nat Geo Wild Thailand Special

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #1022 by WT admin
Nat Geo Wild Thailand Special was created by WT admin
Should be well worth watching, as there is very little that is Thailand specific normally.... GreenAsia really are leading the way in Thailand

GreenAsia Facebook site

Pity I dont have UBC - will just have to hope it ends up on youtube later.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #1024 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Nat Geo Wild Thailand Special
Just saw the announcement today on Nat Geo Wild. Just yesterday we bought the GMM-Z box that includes Nat Geo Wild. The box cost us 1000 baht, no additional or monthly costs. Though, you need a dish on your roof (do you call those things like that in English?...) We already had one from DTV.

I like Nat Geo Wild. My family back home has it, and even though they tend to show a bit too many advertisements (which are mostly for their own upcoming shows), at least they focus purely on animals. Most of the other channels tend to do more and more other stuff that made me loose interest.
I don't watch much TV at all, but with this special coming up I hope I'll get to see it.

I think it's worth looking at that GMM-Z box. This series alone could be worth spending 1000 baht, haha.

In the trailer I saw lots of interesting animals coming by. Pileated Gibbon, Slow Loris, Great Hornbill and more. I'm very curious what they will show.

It remembers me of a question I had.
When visiting Pangsida I've heard Pileated Gibbons calling, but always too far to track them down. I was wondering if there are White-handed gibbons over there? I actually thought Khao Yai is the most Eastern part of the White-handed Gibbon range, but I'm not sure.

And on the sign at the watching tower they wrote Langurs visit the saltlick. So there are langurs? Did anyone see them there, do you know where to find them?
I had a hard time finding any primates, though on the last 2 days saw a male Pig-tail Macaque crossing, and I've heard them fighting in the forest. And there was one at the Pangsida waterfall. Which might be there more often, though I just did not spend much time there.

Sorry for going off-topic again...

More
5 years 4 months ago #1027 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Nat Geo Wild Thailand Special
lars- never heard or seen
pileated - heard often, seen once
langur - never heard or seen but Silvered Langur is a recorded species

apologies for brevity - on the road using phone

More
5 years 4 months ago #1028 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Nat Geo Wild Thailand Special
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Pileated is never an easy species to spot. Have seen them in Khao Yai, even the families that consist of both species, White-handed & Pileated. But takes quite a bit of effort, or luck ;). And in many cases they are very shy and you don't get to see them well. Have never managed to get a picture of the Pileated that I was really happy with. Keep trying.

The roadsides in Pangsida don't seem to be very gibbon friendly. Mostly lined by secondary growth. No places where they can cross, unless coming down to the ground, something they rarely do as far as I know; never seen it.

More
5 years 4 months ago #1030 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Nat Geo Wild Thailand Special
I have seen the Pileated in Khao Yai near the Orchid Trail (always other side of the river) and in Pangsida one time (of course they moved on as soon as I prepared my camera)

Never seen or heard the Silver Langur, would love to get some shots of them though

Never seen the slow loris, tried many times to spot them but have come up empty everytime

Love to see the series, seems in the intro they hit North Thailand, maybe KK and Khao Yai for sure

More
5 years 4 months ago #1035 by Painted Jezebel
Replied by Painted Jezebel on topic Nat Geo Wild Thailand Special
I do hope that they do not concentrate solely on the North. Too many programmes completely ignore the fact that there is Thailand south of Kaeng Krachan, and not just the diving! Living on the Peninsular, I often feel left out!

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #1052 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Nat Geo Wild Thailand Special
Theres another link showing some more of this. Anyone seen the first episode yet?

From the two trailer videos, I think I know 80% of the locations already. All the land based ones I recognise are central Thailand and northern Thailand so far Les. Fingers crossed because the GreenAsia team is quite large and there is footage of them in southern Thailand doing hornbills on their site.

I am interested if they will show any arthropods.

Additional Info ..... For Asia the first of the two part series is not until.......

"Premieres Friday June 7th at 9:00 pm, 8:00pm BKK/JKT............

Episode 1

Wild Thailand: A Land of Beauty And Incredible Contrasts

In this first episode we follow the courtship and mating rituals of the great hornbills and the variety of wildlife species in the northern mountains.

Episode 2

Wild Thailand: A Forgotten And Rarely Seen Wilderness

Thailand is a land of incredible beauty with more than 50 protected national parks accounting for nearly 14% of the country's surface, but its stunning array of wildlife is often forgotten and rarely seen. In this second episode we follow a territorial gibbon family that is harassed by an Asiatic black bear. We see the bear - dancing, digging and scratching all night long. We get a close look at the flying fox, the largest bat in the world camping in a remote Buddhist temple a base, from which the bats make their foraging trips. Thailand has a wide selection of beautiful birds -we watch how some of them build their intricate nests. We also explore the rich abundance of life in the Andaman Sea; home to some of the most colorful species on the planet."

Source: Click Here

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #1058 by WT admin
Replied by WT admin on topic Nat Geo Wild Thailand Special
I understand they use the GreenAsia footage that PBS aired, which you can already see online here.........

GreenAsia/Thai PBS nature footage on Youtube

Outstanding! Truly comparable to the best of the best (BBC Nat Hist Unit).

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph