2015 National Park Entrance Fees

01 Sep 2014 12:16 - 11 Oct 2014 18:37 #2242 by Paul T
2015 National Park Entrance Fees was created by Paul T
New entrance fees have just been announced for the National Parks, to be effective Feb 1st next year.

A full list should be out tomorrow, a few parks (i.e. Kaeng Krachan) have a price rise to 300 baht for foreign tourists, and Thung Salaeng Luang seems to be 500 baht, I can't see any mention of Khao Yai.

To be frank I have not been able to fully work out the list with either Google Translate or Bing Translate. But they should be in the English language press tomorrow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Sep 2014 18:47 #2243 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic 2015 National Park Entrance Fees
Have we ever made a list where our Thai drivers license and or work permit gets us in at the Thai rate?

01 Sep 2014 21:45 #2244 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic 2015 National Park Entrance Fees
As long as the money is used for the right purpose, I am ok with it.
Any mention of the fee for Thais?

01 Sep 2014 22:20 #2246 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic 2015 National Park Entrance Fees
I could not see any real changes in the Thai fees from what I could understand. All should be revealed tomorrow.

11 Oct 2014 08:33 - 11 Oct 2014 08:56 #2369 by Paul T
It quite complicated but here it is, as best as I could paraphrase it...............................

Group 1 - price increase for Foreigners:

Fees for Thais TB10 for children and THB20 for adults.
THB100 for foreign children and THB200 for adults.

Thap Lan National Park ; Ta Phraya National Park ; Khao Lak–Lam Ru National Park; Mu Ko Phetra National Park; Kaeng Tana National Park ; Phu Sa Dok Bua National Park ; Phu Pha Thoep National Park; Phu Phan National Park; and Phu Lanka National Park.

Group 2 - price increase for both Foreigners and Thai Nationals:

Fees for Thais TB20 for children and THB40 for adults.
THB100 for foreign children and THB200 for adults.

Pa Hin Ngam National Park ; Ramkamheng National Park and Mae Moei National Park.

Group 3 - price increase for both Foreigners and Thai Nationals:

Fees for Thais TB40 for children and THB100 for adults.
THB200 for foreign children and THB300 for adults.

Kaeng Krachan National Park

Group 4 - price increase for both Foreigners and Thai Nationals:

Fees for Thais TB50 for children and THB100 for adults.
THB200 for foreign children and THB300 for adults.

Sri Nakarin National Park; Sai Yok National Park; and Erawan National Park

Group 5 - price increase for Foreigners:

THB150for foreign children and THB300 for adults.

Khao Sok National Park and Mu Ko Ang Thong National Park

Group 6 - price increase for both Foreigners and Thai Nationals:

Fees for Thais TB50 for children and THB100 for adults.
THB300 for foreign children and THB500 for adults.

Mu Koh Surin National Park and Mu Koh Similan National Park

Group 7 - price increase for both Foreigners and Thai Nationals:

Fees for Thais TB30 for children and THB60 for adults.
THB100 for foreign children and THB300 for adults.

Than Bok Khorani National Park and Ao Phang Nga National Park

Group 8 - price increase for Foreigners:

THB200 for foreign children and THB400 for adults.

Phu Chong–Na Yoi National Park ; Pha Taem National Park Khao Phra Wihan National Park

Group 9 - price increase for Foreigners:

Thung Salaeng Luang National Park

Group 10 - price increase for Foreigners:

Phu Hin Rong Kla National Park

Group 11 - price increase for Foreigners:

THB100 for foreign children and THB300 for adults.

Namtok Chat Trakan National Park

Group 12 - price increase for both Foreigners and Thai Nationals:

Fees for Thais TB20 for children and THB50 for adults.
THB150 for foreign children and THB300 for adults.

Doi Pha Hom Pok National Park and Huay Nam Dang National Park

Group 13 - price increase for both Foreigners and Thai Nationals:

Fees for Thais TB20 for children and THB50 for adults.
THB150 for foreign children and THB300 for adults.

Doi Inthanon National Park

Presumably, if a National Park is not listed then there will be no change to the current prices

11 Oct 2014 10:03 - 11 Oct 2014 13:08 #2370 by onflipflops
Interesting changes. Would like to know the reason behind some of the choices they made. I am fine with paying fees, as long as the money is used properly, which I do doubt sometimes, but anyways.

Fee for Thais in Kaeng Krachan up to 100 baht. Maybe they hope it will reduce visitor numbers, which I can imagine with the road over there.
I doubt if it will make a change in numbers. Surprising the foreign fee in KK will not go up more, while instead it increases to 500 b for foreigners in parks that I think see very few foreigners in the first place like Phu Hin Rong Kla, and Thung Salaeng Luang, where the Thai fee seems to be very low. It is a bit out of this world to charge 12.5 times more for foreigners. But well I do not want to start that discussion ;). I do not know these parks so well, I have been to Phu Hin Rong Kla, but it seemed like it only had to offer some nice scenic areas, but if that alone is worth 500 baht... I did not have car that time, so maybe there is more to explore that makes paying 500 baht worth it.
Instead a park like Kaeng Krachan has great wildlife watching, various trails, waterfalls and other scenic points, and the importance of protecting a wide range of rare species. I believe KK is worth paying 500 baht.

Khao Yai not on the list. Why no increase for Thais in this popular park? Could generate lots of money, I guess. Because I think it will hardly reduce the visitor numbers.

11 Oct 2014 17:06 - 11 Oct 2014 17:15 #2371 by Paul T
I have no idea either. The ones that are a surprise (i.e. well expensive) to me are:

Thung Salaeng Luang National Park - its "different" in that its open pastures and pine forest, quite beautiful but not 500 baht by anyones wallet. Good to camp in the winter and see interesting ground flowers but it was not worth 400 baht last week (when I was last there).

Phu Hin Rong Kla National Park - me too - a high road pass with a high vantage point and some lumpy rocks and ex communist stuff. I was not impressed.

Namtok Chat Trakan National Park - nice waterfall but not "wilderness" - its a local weekender place, swim in the lake, eat food, hire a paddle boat.

I find the two tier pricing model to irk me - a lot - if they said "Thai/Tax payer in Thailand" and "Others" I would be happier. At present you need (officially) a residents card to get the Thai price but I think a work permit should be accepted as well because then its "proof" of tax payments and therefore, as per locals - you have paid for a portion of the NP administration already.

11 Oct 2014 23:02 #2372 by onflipflops
Totally agree that tax payers should definitely be able to enter for the Thai resident fee. It's likely that most foreigners living in Thailand (at least those working here) pay more tax than 90% of the local population.
And besides that it's still the question if the difference between foreign and local rates is not a little outrages...

Luckily in my 'home-base' park, Khao Yai, they are very easy and allow everybody with Thai driving license or work permit to enter for Thai resident fee. That allows me to go in whenever I feel like going, even if it's just for a short late afternoon, or night walk. With the car it is 40 + 50 baht, which is OK. If like in Kaeng Krachan (at least that is my experience) they would charge me the full rate, I probably would not be able to enjoy the park any time I would like.

One thing that I find a little odd, is that they don't exempt the tour guides from paying entrance fees. They do in (some of) the historical parks like Ayutthaya.
In e.g. Khao Yai the tour businesses bring a LOT of money into the park. 400 baht per guest, and that's quite a significant number of visitors that enter on guided tours. That's quite a few million baht per year! Most of these people who do a guided tour would not consider going in by themselves, simply because they don't think it is wise to go into the jungle without a local that knows the trails. So without guided tours this money would not get spend in the parks. Besides that I believe that it's partly due to the local guides that this park is quite popular (for Thai national park standards) amongst foreign tourists. Most people won't see much wildlife if they would go by themselves, but generally get a very different experience if accompanied by an experienced local guide.
However, for some reason the park management considers the tour businesses (just like the macaques ;) ) a nuisance. Probably because the tour vehicles stop on the road to look for gibbons, hornbills etc. which obstructs the rangers who prefer to drive fast to their next destination. In recent years quite a few businesses have been fined for stopping their vehicle to watch the gibbons along the road... The world upside down if you ask me. Nobody gets fined for driving too fast!
The previous superintendent ordered the rangers to wait behind trees on the most popular trails to fine the guides that walked on the 'side' trails (the question is who decides which trail is the official trail and which trail is not, it's not exactly well marked). Another tour business got fined when they used both indicator lights to notify upcoming traffic about an elephant that was around the corner on the road. The 'upcoming traffic' turned out to be the boss of the park and since using the indicator lights was not park policy they got fined. Almost funny really.
At least from that point on it was clear that it was all about the money, and not about safety.
The current chief of the park is hardly there so things are a bit more relaxed again. Though seems like they are only adding more tarmac recently. Though there are also plans to put the electricity cabels under the ground. Yes, sometimes they have good ideas! Saves a lot of trouble in the rain season when every few days a tree cuts the cabels.
But back to my rant ;), I'm not sure if that is the way you should treat those who bring quite a few million baht into the park. It's not that the tour guides are doing anything against the law!
End of my off-topic rant, ;)
Sorry I get carried away sometimes...

14 Oct 2014 20:30 #2373 by rushenb
Replied by rushenb on topic 2015 National Park Entrance Fees
Hi Trekker,

Thank you a lot for posting this. I too don't mind about paying another 100B or two..

Would you mind if I used this price list you composed for an article at Thai National Parks website?

Cheers,

15 Oct 2014 08:11 #2375 by Paul T
No problem Rushen, just give this site a back-link

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com