Tarutao Marine National Park

26 Feb 2015 01:06 - 03 Mar 2015 09:35 #2712 by rushenb
Tarutao Marine National Park was created by rushenb
Hi all,

I spent 2 nights at Ko Tarutao recently, and wished I stayed another couple of days there to see more of it. I am sure I will be back there some day. Seeing wildlife possibilities are limited to few classic species like dusky leaf monkeys, long-tailed macaques, boars, civets and mouse deers, but all to be found more or less very easily. Despite two tries, I didn't manage to see any pythons that supposed to be very common at one of ranger stations, couldn't get confirmed from anyone what specie. King Cobras are apparently relatively common too. King Cobras and Phytons were the reason I wanted spend few more days there. The beaches were absolutely fantastic.

If anyone ever gets there, I recommend the second ranger station 8km south from HQ, very few bungalows and very few people there, the only bungalows on island available on arrival, from 300 to 500 THB. Bungalows on HQ and 1st ranger station needs booking in advance through DNP website. We stayed on the first ranger station 4km south only because we already had booked bungalows there. The bungalows at first ranger station are the best one I've seen in any national park so far (not so that I have slept in many bungalows in NPs), they were very clean.

Tents are available at all three locations from 200B a day.

While searching for pythons I saw this beautiful raptor which I didn't manage to identify though the only rubbish bird book I have. Anyone who can help with ID?

I have written more details about Ko Tarutao and other islands in the park, but haven't published on my website yet. Will publish it soon, probably in couple of days.

Cheers,
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Feb 2015 08:13 #2713 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Tarutao Marine National Park
Cool Rushen. Do post a link when you get the article up. Koh Turatao is somewhere I always wanted to go and am eager to find out more..

26 Feb 2015 10:23 #2714 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Tarutao Marine National Park
The bird looks quite a bit like an Osprey, but I am not a bird expert.
My 2nd guess would be Changeable Hawk-Eagle juvenile...

Hope you get some more days there sooner or later to spend more time looking for pythons and king cobras. What better things to do in life than looking for pythons and King Cobras?
It's been raining pythons here lately. Only Retics. The day before yesterday another big one crossed the road when we were driving home after some shopping. Luckily the car in front of us had noticed it and stopped the car, but they seemed not to dare to come out of the car, haha. I pulled its tail to hopefully scare it enough that it would not come back. I know one should not tease animals, but I believe it is for its own safety not to stay near a busy road...

I think that on the islands you will only find Reticulated Pythons.
I don't know if any of the Short-tailed Pythons have made it to the islands. The Burmese Python is supposed to occur only above the Isthmus of Kra, and some parts of Indonesia, but I might be wrong...
I've only stayed at Koh Adang, which was very pleasant, next time I will try the big Tarutao island; try to rediscover Salt-water crocs, haha ;) .

26 Feb 2015 19:04 #2715 by rushenb
Replied by rushenb on topic Tarutao Marine National Park
Thanks onflipflops! I also thought that osprey is the closest candidate from the book I have, but still not sure. Like many other photos I have, the quality of photo is too bad to post at Flickr, so I may archive is as "unidentified" for now and ask some expert later on.. :)

26 Feb 2015 20:53 - 26 Feb 2015 20:54 #2716 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Tarutao Marine National Park
Birds of prey can be a real pain to ID. I believe Wildambience on this forum has quite a wide knowledge of birdlife, guess he can give you a sure ID. Honestly I think it is Osprey, especially on an island with fish in the neighbourhood...
Maybe an idea to become a member of some bird group on facebook.
There are loads of birders and you can post even shots that are not worth posting on Flickr ;)

02 Mar 2015 14:41 #2722 by rushenb
Replied by rushenb on topic Tarutao Marine National Park
@onflipflops; yes I know, they seem to be more difficult ones to ID, heard experts saying that too. However, I have seen to many pages naming Osprey does exists on Tarutao.

Tarutao page is relatively ready, I already published it. I will have to add some additional info about diving sites and try collect the name of some more species coming days. Finding specie names is very difficult, various sources including DNP names all same; "three mouse-deer species", "three hornbill species", "x number of bla bla species" but none to say exactly which. All I rely about is to find pages where people has taken photos etc and hoping they have identified it correctly.

www.thainationalparks.com/tarutao-national-marine-park

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com