Temporary change in entrance fees

03 Jul 2015 22:58 - 18 Apr 2016 09:33 #2954 by onflipflops
Temporary change in entrance fees was created by onflipflops
Not sure if many Thais join this forum, though it might apply in the parks where foreigners with Thai work permits or driving licenses are allowed to enter for Thai resident fee.

From the beginning of July Thai people can enter for half price on weekdays.
A measure that I guess is to increase visitor numbers in the low season.
It makes one wonder who comes up with this.
I don't think a reduction from 40 to 20 baht will double the tourist numbers, so in the end it most likely means the DNP will loose.
In Kui Buri one of the rangers told us that only Kaeng Krachan is not offering this discount. I can not confirm that at this point.

The only thing I can confirm is that Khao Yai does offer dicount rates for Thais. 30 baht (down from 50 baht) for a car, 20 baht (down from 40 baht) for adult Thais. And I can also confirm that foreigners still pay full price in Khao Yai, which now means 20 times the Thai rate :silly: .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Jul 2015 13:19 - 18 Apr 2016 11:12 #2964 by bootly66
Replied by bootly66 on topic Temporary change in entrance fees
I saw this before and was outraged by it... I have a workpermit and duly pay my taxes which directly or indirectly contribute to the funding of National Parks.. I wonder how many of these so called professional guides can say that.. let us think a bit.. How many foreigners do see with brand new cars or SUVs?? How many foreigners do see with brand new 100,000bt cameras?? How many foreigners do see with brand new 700,000bt lenses?? How many foreigners do see with bottles of whiskey in the NPs and how many foreigners do see dumping or just leaving their rubbish everywhere?? You probably guessed this is a topic I feel strongly about, but this is Thailand, so we have to live with their selfish stupidity and duel pricing or leave them to it...

06 Jul 2015 16:57 - 06 Jul 2015 16:59 #2966 by roblgs
Replied by roblgs on topic Temporary change in entrance fees
I've been an infrequent visitor to Khao Yai over the years and if entering from the southern gate have, on production of a Thai Driving License, been given the Thai rate... At another entrance on production of the same license I've had them insist I could not have the Thai rate... Whether it's been the individual on duty, or the gate I've tried entering by, day of the week or time of the month or lunar cycle I have no idea...

All I can say is that, like with so much else, the regulations are consistently inconsistent in their application and interpretation.

I've not been recently however, so not sure what current policy/whim might be.

[edit: I too have work permit, earn local salary and pay local taxes...]

18 Apr 2016 08:46 #3698 by angiud
Replied by angiud on topic Temporary change in entrance fees
Kaeng Krachan now charges 300 for foreigners (they didn't care my WP...) but Thai now pay 100 Baht

20 Apr 2016 08:07 - 20 Apr 2016 08:11 #3699 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Temporary change in entrance fees
I too am totally against the double charging policies that exists in Thailand, esp at NPs. Its just wrong on every level.

I can understand (but don't condone) the sheer amount of income it drives - its a truly massive amount from the south of Thailand, particularly around the Phuket area with its organized tours by the bus and boatload. Detrimental to environment but lucrative. I have been told that they have been looking for sometime on a revised policy on charging and access. There are a number of studies already. But as we know things are slow to change.

I especially can't understand - if the double charging policy continues - why non Thai's with work permits cannot get the "local" rate. It just does not seem fair if one is here legally and paying taxes, why one should pay more. And I am not just trying to to push something to my own benefit. I don't have a work permit and as my future will be a retirement visa I never will, yet I believe that all with a WP should pay no more than what a Thai pays.

21 Apr 2016 12:16 #3704 by Geoff Potter
Replied by Geoff Potter on topic Temporary change in entrance fees
I agree, I have a WP and pay my taxes in full, I am making a monthly contribution so why am I being discriminated against like this? I honestly don't mind paying as long as its fair.

On new years day this year I entered the park and was told all Thais are free but, you guessed it, not the foreigners! Now how does that make sense?

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com