Facebook Login

Parasites and worms from Leeches

12 May 2018 19:42 #4914 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Parasites and worms from Leeches
I have just (still) experienced something similar to Ton with a worm parasite from a leech. Its kept me out of the forest these last 10 days.

I was in one of Keang Krachan's vallies and got leeched to hell. I had two big bite clusters on either side of my neck. After 8 days I had to go to hospital as it was driving me insane, esp ay night - like someone sticking a pin in my neck and twisting it.. The doctors nearly infuriated me more than the worm parasite with their Bangkok attitude and wanting to pass me off as an allergic reaction. They have now agreed that I have a parasitic worm in my neck - its so big you can feel it!

No doubt in my mind whatsoever that it was passed by a leech.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 May 2018 14:25 #4915 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Parasites and worms from Leeches
Yikes!
That definitely sounds a lot worse than my cases. If you can actually feel it, I suppose it is not the same species as the ones I got. And sounds like you are in a lot more pain. The ones I had just itched really bad, but did not hurt. But I guess the location you got your bite is more sensitive than where I got mine.

It seems like the cases I have had (and judging from your story, same for you) all happened after a leech that really had a proper feed. So far it hasn't happened to me to any leech bites that were not attached too long.

Hope you get rid of it soon. I guess the freezing method won't be an option in your neck....

14 May 2018 11:31 - 14 May 2018 11:33 #4916 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Parasites and worms from Leeches

onflipflops wrote:

It seems like the cases I have had (and judging from your story, same for you) all happened after a leech that really had a proper feed. So far it hasn't happened to me to any leech bites that were not attached too long.

Thats fits in with what I experienced as well Ton. The pain and the itching started to subside about 8 hours of taking 500 mg of Mebendazole. I can still feel it under my skin but I presume its dead now.

Its interesting how little info there is on the net about these things and what seems to be an obvious connection to leeches.

14 May 2018 15:28 #4917 by onflipflops
Yes one of my last cases I used the same (or similar) medication and that seems to solve the issue pretty quickly.

Would be interesting if some scientist would pick this up and find out more about how the worms travel with the leeches and how they are passed to a new host etc.
Indeed surprising that there have been quite a few cases but no other info.

If I ever come across a researcher focused on parasites, I will discuss the matter ;-)
I was convinced already that it was passed by leeches, and your case is another very clear example to back this theory.

14 May 2018 15:30 #4918 by onflipflops
Not sure if you have done already (maybe a bit complicated at the bite site in your neck) but whenever possible, best to take some images of it. If we ever do find a scientist interested to work on it, I guess it could be helpful to show some images as proof.

05 Jul 2018 16:54 #4987 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Parasites and worms from Leeches
Well I am the latest victim of this scenario from KK

5 weeks ago I got nailed by a leech on the center of my back, he got in a solid feed before I found him and there were 3 others that got me on this trip, only one is continuing to give me issues

Even today the itch is amazing and comes in waves, I like you all can feel something but cant quite put a finger on it, worst part is that it doesnt want to heal, it gets close to closing up then reopens again (sometimes due to my own scratching of it)

Today its begun with its satellite itching spots about 1 inch around the intial bite, and these are beginning to open up and scab over

Not a pleasant situation, likely will have to hit the hospital and try to find an infectious disease doctor so I dont go nuts with someone telling me its an alergic reaction

05 Jul 2018 22:27 #4988 by onflipflops
If there is a clear 'trail' forming from the bite site (see pic below for example), then likely it is the worm I have had a couple times. If the trail is not yet clearly visible, it helps to just hold an ice cube on the site for a while and then when you take it off the healthy skin will usually turn pale, whilst the worm trail will be more clearly visible red.

If you are indeed seeing this, then you have two options. Medication, something like Albendazole.

Coincidentally I had another worm which I froze to death today. This time I can not remember if it came with a leech or in a different way. It was on my big toe. I will attach a pic.

Attachment 11906.jpg not found

This time I have bought an ice-spray (I think this is similar to what is used on soccer fields etc when someone has an injury).
The bottle will tell to keep 15cm from the skin. But to kill the worm I use it at just an inch from the skin. It will freeze the top skin layer. It actually turns white for a second or so. But then melts soon after. The first session I did this morning did not kill it I think., At least the itching returned after a while. So I did it again a bit later and now it seems to have done the job. You need to find the end of the trail where I guess the worm is digging, haha.

It hurts a bit, and not sure if it's good for your skin. But it works ;-)
Here is the spray I used today. This is the second time I have used the spray.

Attachment 11905.jpg not found

Attachments:

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2019 wildlifethailand.com