Thai Rom Yen and Kaeng Krachan 2016...

06 Mar 2016 01:46 - 06 Mar 2016 10:13 #3481 by Mi Ke
Hi All! :)
I'm new here - trying to find info on accomodation in Thai Rom Yen NP.

Thinking of visiting in mid-April, but cannot find subj - either this NP is of omly local interest or simply closed.

Going to visit 3 NP - subj, Khao Sok and Kaeng Krachan - in 2 - 3 weeks (better 3, likely 2...).

The first main question is - whether I need to have my own tent or there are something like guest/resthouses? Tents-for-rent is also a possibility, but the worst...

The second main question is - whether there are such Wonders of Civilisation as power supply, water and something like canteen/cafe there?
I can take all the essential camping equipment (stove, bowl, etc.) with me, but it's The Weight that troubles... 50Lbs, you know... O_*
And I need to charge my batteries and to empty my cards anyway...

The third main question is - whether it's possible to live just inside the NP territory, to go to the forest at night?
I need night - the most interesting creatures are active, sun is not too hot (really, it's toohot, but - somewhere else, not where I am)...

Kaeng Krachan is relatively well known NP, together with Khao Sok, but can't find adequate info about Thai Rom Yen.

Thanks to All!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Mar 2016 10:11 - 06 Mar 2016 11:19 #3482 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Thai Rom Yen and Kaeng Krachan 2016...
I have never been to Tai Rom Yen, but will have a go at some of your questions............ I ask the others to chip in as well as they may have better insights than myself as I generally live out of the back of my car when in the parks.......

I'm new here - trying to find info on accommodation in Thai Rom Yen NP. For info on accommodation at all national parks (and booking of accommodation or tents use the link .... www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/reservation.asp ... simply choose the park and it will tell you whats available and give you the booking instructions. You can just turn up at a park as well but when a park has bungalows for rent it very hit and miss if they are not already booked on a weekend (i.e. Khao Yai - need to book months in advance for a weekend) - weekdays seem to be fine.

The first main question is - whether I need to have my own tent or there are something like guest/resthouses? Tents-for-rent is also a possibility, but the worst... I know Khao Yai and Kaeng Krachan have tents for hire. Keen Krachan has no bungalows inside the forest (also note the HQ area is about 25 kilometres from Baan Krang - if you want forest then you need to be at the Baan Krang or Panoenthung campsites). Khao Yai has bungalows inside the park but check availability and book in advance.

The second main question is - whether there are such Wonders of Civilisation as power supply, water and something like canteen/cafe there?

And I need to charge my batteries and to empty my cards anyway...

Khao Yai and Kaeng Krachan have restaurants. Camp sites have water ablutions, etc (if water is running). No idea about wether there anywhere to plug in stuff if you are camping

The third main question is - whether it's possible to live just inside the NP territory, to go to the forest at night?

I need night - the most interesting creatures are active, sun is not too hot (really, it's toohot, but - somewhere else, not where I am)...

I think theres some other posts on this - unless you have made arrangements with a ranger to take you then generally anything at night is not allowed (for your own safety) unless you are in the camp site or in close proximity. www.wildlifethailand.com/forums/kaeng-kr...8-night-drives-walks

Kaeng Krachan is relatively well known NP, together with Khao Sok, but can't find adequate info about Thai Rom Yen.

I have never been - maybe someone else can help?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mi Ke

06 Mar 2016 22:15 - 06 Mar 2016 22:22 #3492 by Mi Ke
Replied by Mi Ke on topic Thai Rom Yen and Kaeng Krachan 2016...
Thank you! :)
Maybe, somebody else has to add smth useful :)

For info on accommodation at all national parks (and booking of accommodation or tents use the link

Yes, thank you - know this link, know this way, last October reserved smth in Doi Inthanon and Mae Wong, and happily arrived - to meet with very-very much surprised staff, having not seen/read/received my reservations at all :lol:
And more: link suggests reserving for no longer than 3 nights - but I don't know, whether I"d flee after the first or want to stay for a week.
So - now I'm trying to call through e-mails to get some info, up to now - Silence is the Only Answer I have :huh:

if they are not already booked on a weekend

Huh O_o
Maybe, it's only in well known NP, Khao Yai is one of the most popular sites for weekends...
At least, hope so... B)

the HQ area is about 25 kilometres from Baan Krang

Huh - 2 O_o
But it's possible to come here by taxi from KK-town, isn't it? Through HQ, to pay fee etc, and - possibly - to talk to rangers (if they're talkable - my ภาษาไทย is less than poor, sorry :unsure: )
Now my plan is to arrive BKK, then go to KK, and then - to Surattani, getting to TRY and KS.
But it's just a plan, I can change it, if it'll be better to go another way.

Khao Yai and Kaeng Krachan have restaurants.

Don't need Khao Yai :) - talk is about Khao Sok ;)
Anyway, if there are restaurants - there is power. If there is power - there is plug B) The only problem is how to use it...
Two yrs ago managed to do it in Pha Taem, so don't think it'll be worse with another places this year.

unless you are in the camp site or in close proximity

Let it be so - it means that I'll be inside or in the closest proximity B)
Or, at least, I'll try.

18 Apr 2016 08:44 #3697 by angiud
Replied by angiud on topic Thai Rom Yen and Kaeng Krachan 2016...
I've been at Thai Rom Yen. It's not so close from towns. There is electricity and some bungalows, don't know if available or, as sometime happens, on restoration.

I don't remember if there was a small food shop there, but the rangers were very friendly and propose me the trekking to the top of (not sure the name) Khao Yai or Khao Chong Chang, very interesting IMHO but hard for me...

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com