Western Forest Complex,

21 Mar 2016 10:31 - 21 Mar 2016 13:13 #3561 by Robby L
Western Forest Complex, was created by Robby L
Hi All

For my first post on this site I would like to start a discussion on the effects of the drought and subsequent fires on the Western Forest Complex.

I have just got back from 4 nights camped at Chong Yen in Mae Wong and what we saw there is most disturbing, the whole place is extremely dry with fire having burned from the entrance gate to within sight of Khun Nam Yen with fires still burning. How far this fire will go is anyone's guess.

I was recently at Phu Toei National Park and fire has been through the whole of the southern part of the park from the the HQ over the hill to the camp ground in the east with fires still burning in places.

In another recent trip to the Mae Wong River they were cutting fire breaks in the anticipation of fire.

At Haui Mae Dee the farmers have planted corn right up to the trees at the forest edge and have traditionally burnt the stubble with the fire spreading into the sanctuary, havent heard but I would expect this to have happened already.

A recent report told of Huai Kha Kaeng being very dry with streams dry and waterholes being dug to provide water for animals.

To me all this has the look of developing into a major disaster.

Comments please.

Photos, from Krating lookout.

Turning around, where fire has already been with more smoke in the background

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Mar 2016 17:19 #3562 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Western Forest Complex,
I also think there's a real potential for much more serious and widespread destruction from fire than we normally see at this time of year. I know HKK practices controlled burning for fire stops yearly, not sure which other locations do. News today (BKP) says fire stop burning is now underway in Kaeng Krachan and Kui Buri to stop the march of their current fires.

Last year I witnessed fire in HKK (HQ and Cyber) and Chalerm Prakiat - all on the periphery and all visibly started by the practice of local farms burning off sugar cane before harvesting and the tinder traveling in the resulting thermals.

As we all know, the mango rains are due in a few weeks, and according to the Thai Met site we should be getting summer thunderstorms next week. What worries me though is......... my recollection is that we will see "thunderhead" style clouds forming first....... but here in BKK we are seeing no sign of that, just the return of the blue cloudless skies except for some mist/dust or smoke (?).

21 Mar 2016 17:54 #3563 by rushenb
Replied by rushenb on topic Western Forest Complex,
We weren't around yesterday, but from what I heard today they have started with controlled fire to stop fire from spreading here in Kaeng Krachan. What I understand is it is not quite under control yet. We have some smog here in town.

We just heard announcement from a car outside, they are calling people to contribute with money or food to support volunteer fire-fighters. First thing in the morning we will go and buy stuff and leave it at the fire station.

21 Mar 2016 18:27 - 21 Mar 2016 18:27 #3565 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Western Forest Complex,

rushenb wrote: ...... First thing in the morning we will go and buy stuff and leave it at the fire station.

You're a good man!

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com