Koh Pra-thong & Koh Ra

05 Apr 2017 13:20 #4338 by Katy_Jane
Koh Pra-thong & Koh Ra was created by Katy_Jane
Hey!

My first post in this forum - please accept my apologies if it is in the wrong topic!

I was wondering if anyone had any information on whether or not the islands in Southern Thailand, Koh Pra-thong and Koh Ra, are a designated National Park. I know from a contact on the island that there were plans previously to make Koh Prathong a protected area, however there was a lot of backlash from the community and therefore it did not go ahead.

Does anyone know any useful DNP contacts or up to date websites that can give me an current status of the islands (what would have been Mu Koh Pra-thong Koh Ra National Park). I found a website that said the current status was pending.

I have a research proposal for research to be conducted on both islands which I am due to submit to the NRCT but I need to know if we also need permission from the DNP.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Apr 2017 04:09 - 06 Apr 2017 04:11 #4339 by Robby L
Replied by Robby L on topic Koh Pra-thong & Koh Ra
Hi Katy-Jane

I have not been there but it seems these islands are part of a national park established in 2001 :

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ko_Phra_Thong

Robby

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com