Back door to WFC.

05 May 2017 20:16 #4387 by Robby L
Back door to WFC. was created by Robby L
Found this when I was looking for something else:

The first-ever surveys of forests in Karen state in southeast Myanmar — a region that was previously out-of-bounds for scientists due to security and political reasons — has yielded surprising results.

news.mongabay.com/2017/03/survey-of-prev...-endangered-species/

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 May 2017 19:02 #4388 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Back door to WFC.
I often ponder the possibility of trips to Myanmar. Whether to try and "beat the crowd" or wait to see what transpires. I wonder if they have a fledgling wildlife tourism industry yet - I assume not?

07 May 2017 20:53 #4399 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Back door to WFC.
It's interesting that the Karen state is closely bordering Northern Thailand. So the border region there could be of interest on Thai side as well...

No idea how easy these areas are accessible to visitors.
I was surprised when I met some conservationists in Kaeng Krachan last year. They were actually putting their efforts in trying to create the trans-frontier park between Kaeng Krachan and the Tanintharyi region.
Interestingly, despite their good-meant efforts they had never been able to visit the park on the Myanmar side, because visitors were not allowed...

08 May 2017 12:56 #4400 by Geoff Potter
Replied by Geoff Potter on topic Back door to WFC.
The only person I know who has traveled extensively in this region is Alan Rabinowitz, it was some time ago for sure but he had high hopes for it at the time.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com