Facebook Login

Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park

28 Aug 2017 09:55 - 28 Aug 2017 11:33 #4600 by WT admin
Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park was created by WT admin
Had a visit to Sam Rai Yot last week as I was staying next door in Pranburi. It’s always been a "park" I have not liked - indeed I don't really count it as a park because of all the fish farms, etc which are truly ugly. The sections of the “park” which constitute the actual park include the two beaches with their respective headlands; the main limestone backbone of the “300 peaks”; the area around the visitor centre which has a viewpoint from which you get an amazing view of the ….errr…. shrimp farms; and the “The Nature Education Center of the Lotus Pond”; it also has two nice caves but quite a few tourists from Hua Hin who want to see them as well.

At least now you don’t have to pay the entrance fee for entering and driving – you can drive all the way through without a fee. The fee is only payable if you visit either of the two beaches or the education centre. Its 200 baht which really is quite steep for what is on offer IMHO.

I was primarily interested in the “education centre” area because it has a set of wooden walkways over the wetlands which enable you to get quite far out into the wetland. Sadly, after paying my 200 baht, I discovered that about 70% of the wooden walkways are now in serious disrepair and you cannot access them. I was having a right old man chunter to myself over the entrance fee vis a vis the lack of maintenance when I looked down at the floor and what was laying on the ground in front of me? A 1000 baht note! My chuntering stopped.

I spent a couple of hours on the remaining wooden walkway/boardwalk, calmed by my new found wealth, but only saw purple swamphens (there were many), a cormorant and a yellow bittern.

The weather was dodgy as it always is at this time of year (August). So I was not as enthusiastic as I might have been.

I had one surprising sighting, whilst at the beach I saw a lone male stump tailed macaque which was a surprise to me because I had no idea they were actually in this park. He was heading for the rubbish bins. More old man chuntering started but was calmed by a nice Gaprow at the Sam Phraya beach's restaurant.

I have to be honest and say that I am not really enamored to this “park” at all and was primarily there for a rainy season relax in the beach areas to the north (Pranburi, Khao Khalok and Sam Roi Yot beaches) which are nice and quiet at this time of year (I like quiet). Saying that the wetlands still intrigue so I may well return for another shot at the waterbirds as there is photographic opportunity here.

A few pictures from the visit............

Grey headed swamphen (Porphyrio poliocephalus)........

Yellow bittern (Ixobrychus sinensis)

I think this is a Juvenile oriental pratincole, but am unsure (??).

Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Aug 2017 12:18 #4603 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park
Great pics and write up.

I have calmed down quite a bit in the last years, I guess living next to Khao Yai for several years has made me immune for over-development in and around parks which nowadays means I do not let it ruin my mood any longer, haha.
Khao Sam Roi Yot is a special area. Interesting habitat. A shame of the shrimp farms indeed.
The park hosts a few endemic gecko species not found anywhere else outside the park.

I still intend to spent a bit more time there to find the elusive Fishing Cat, and perhaps try to find more commonly used spots of Serow.

The stump-tailed macaque sighting is quite interesting. I wonder if it is truly native or if it is just a released pet. What are your thoughts about this?
I know further south in Thailand in similar limestone outcrops not too far from the coast there are stumptails, so it would not be impossible.

28 Aug 2017 15:53 - 05 Jul 2019 12:09 #4604 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park
Thanks Ton!

For the serow, I would try the "education centre" rather than the HQ - I have been up the viewpoint at the HQ before and saw muntjac but its touristy as its sign posted. Try the the Ed Cen' as one of the rangers there offered to take me up the karst on the west side - I had to turn him down as I am not ready for that level of blood pressure in my head yet.

On the STM - I don't know, as it was alone I immediately thought a release as well but as you have said - it is very possible throughout the whole area.

onflipflops wrote:

I still intend to spent a bit more time there to find the elusive Fishing Cat, and perhaps try to find more commonly used spots of Serow.

The stump-tailed macaque sighting is quite interesting. I wonder if it is truly native or if it is just a released pet. What are your thoughts about this?
I know further south in Thailand in similar limestone outcrops not too far from the coast there are stumptails, so it would not be impossible.

31 Aug 2017 00:01 #4609 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park
Thanks for the recommendation. and interesting the rangers offer hiking up the karst on that side.
Will give it a try at some point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Me too

01 Sep 2017 00:41 #4610 by Me too
Replied by Me too on topic Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park
I'm not in LOS right now, but will be soon.
Beautiful and inspiring pics, a real treat to see these adventures!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WT admin

02 Sep 2017 16:08 - 02 Sep 2017 16:08 #4614 by rushenb
Replied by rushenb on topic Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park
Hi all,

You probably know/remember Thon, a ranger who was stationed at Ban Krang. He is nowadays working at Khao Sam Roi Yot, visited him twice so far. My wife asked him about the stump-tailed macaque, he says it has been released from captivity. No others in the park.

08 Sep 2017 06:09 #4618 by Paul T
Thanks Rushen, I thought it was strange being alone on itself.

05 Jul 2019 11:51 #5282 by wvwv
Replied by wvwv on topic Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park
as one of the rangers there offered to take me up the karst on the west side

Do you have any more info about this? It's at the same place as the marsh?

05 Jul 2019 12:09 #5283 by Paul T
Yes, on the marsh side, I was sat in the Sala at the last building in the Ed Centre (which is the buildings west of the karst where the wooden walkways are) when one of the rangers came for a chat. At that time I just declined because I was still recovering from a stroke and could not risk it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wvwv

05 Jul 2019 16:41 #5289 by wvwv
Replied by wvwv on topic Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park
I saw the dirt road there keeps on going well past the checkpoint so maybe it's somewhere down there.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2019 wildlifethailand.com