How Healthy is Doi Suthep Pui?

• Me too
  • Me too's Avatar Topic Author
  • Nature Nut
More
11 months 2 weeks ago #4643 by Me too
How Healthy is Doi Suthep Pui? was created by Me too
Found an interesting article on the struggle to maintain and win back wilderness in the north:
www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citylife-artic...oi-suthep-in-crisis/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #4644 by WT admin
Replied by WT admin on topic How Healthy is Doi Suthep Pui?
That is a very good read!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Me too

• Me too
  • Nature Nut
More
11 months 2 weeks ago #4646 by Me too
Replied by Me too on topic How Healthy is Doi Suthep Pui?
Thanks, I hope I can check it out next year when I return. Maybe help plant more trees and support reforestation any way I can.

I'm curious about wildlife corridors leading from more robust sanctuaries in the south...

• Me too
  • Nature Nut
More
11 months 2 weeks ago #4647 by Me too
Replied by Me too on topic How Healthy is Doi Suthep Pui?
There have been many news articles about resorts encroaching on public land, particularly national parks.
englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/18-chiang-mai-...pected-encroachment/
The list includes the Flight of the Gibbon, which has been at its location for many years, and has apparently worked hard to implement reforestation. It's puzzling.

More
11 months 2 weeks ago - 11 months 2 weeks ago #4648 by WT admin
Replied by WT admin on topic How Healthy is Doi Suthep Pui?
My own take on this is that they (the existing and new governmental structures tasked with land encroachment) have no choice but to implement the law with equality. It has been Thailand's general willingness to bend rules and find a "middle path" that has resulted in a) many persons taking advantage of the state and indeed b) some so-called servants of the state assisting in this if not just turning blind eye.

The only way for the anti-encroachment bodies to move forward now without falling back into the "ways of the past" is to apply the law as it should have been since the beginning of its coming to be - without exception and without mercy. It may seem a bitter pill at times but IMHO its one Thailand must take to make everyone equal under the law.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #4675 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic How Healthy is Doi Suthep Pui?
Theres very good coverage in the nation on this general issue - today ...........

"LAW REFORM, PUBLIC PARTICIPATION REQUIRED TO ENSURE PRESERVATION OF FOREST LANDS, SAYS FORESTRY CHIEF

CHONLATID Suraswadi isn’t surprised when he encounters the same old tricks commonly used by big-time encroachers trying to grab forest lands that are under his charge. But now he has a new headache, as these deceitful figures are now using an unprecedented type of land-rental contract to cover up their illegal actions.

“With this new trick, their illegal actions could fall into a ‘grey’ area,” said Chonlatid, the Royal Forestry Department (RFD) chief, referring to a new legal complication that has emerged................................."

read the article at ...... www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30330312

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph