Mae Wong - October 2017

27 Oct 2017 15:31 - 05 Nov 2017 14:52 #4670 by Paul T
Mae Wong - October 2017 was created by Paul T
I have just had two 3 days visits to Mae Wong National Park during October 2017. Spending all of my time at the top around Chong Yen and Kun Nam Yen.

My first visit was for a relax but was thrilled to see how the storms played out at the elevation and I wanted to go back and try and do some time lapse but the second trip the clouds comes down and I was in mist and rain for most of the 3 days, with breaks in the weather around 2 pm - 4pm before the mist dropped down again.

The black fly were out but I was OK until the last day when the rangers turned up and decided to chop down the growing foliage around the Kun Nam Yen camp site to build some kind of platform for a VIP and then it was black fly city. Despite me being well covered I missed the bit where one has a vent in the shirt sleeve after the cuff - its going away now though.

I thought there would be nobody up there but on both trips there was a steady stream of day trippers, big bikes and overnight visitors. Luckily they didn't like the Kun Nam Yen site (with its lone grumpy farang ;+) and I had it all to myself both trips - Chong Yen had multiple people overnighting everyday - they seem to arrive in the late afternoon and then go back down the next morning. There were a lot more people that I expected for October - even mid week, but it was very chilly at night on both visits - so I suspect that is the draw as well as it being a paved road and therefore anyone with wheels can get up there.

I saw Dhole whilst driving down to the of lower section of the park on the last day but other than that mammals were limited to a northern tree shrew, two Martens and a grey bellied squirrel.

I had a morning in the old bird hide site on the way to Chong Yen which showed a pair of Streaked wren babblers, a Rufus browed flycatcher and a Northern tree shrew. I also had a 2 second sighting of a White crowned fork-tail. It never came back but I could hear it calling in the far distance (makes a racket). So the next morning, as the weather was still bad I decided to go up one of the other valleys with my gear and create a little set. I managed to get two clear views of it about 3 hours apart but that was the only sighting of anything that day.

I decided to go for a mooch on the old Umpang road but there was so much growth and water track damage to the path I gave up after about 100 meters - maybe it will become clearer in the drier months. Also had a walk to the bottom of the valley at Chong Yen - a very very steep track but a lovely piece of forest. There were lots of birds calling in this area including a Pitta of some kind but I just don't know enough about birds to say what any of them were.

An enjoyable little pair of trips but am not so sure I am keen to return, for the non-birder it wasn't great and I can imagine it getting quite full in the camping season. Maybe next rainy season to see if I can time-lapse those fantastic storm clouds.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Oct 2017 22:10 #4672 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Mae Wong - October 2017
Is that scar from the flies? It looks very much like the itchy worms I have had a couple times after leech bites. The worms create a trail right under the skin surface. If it is this, then try to get nitrogen ice to freeze it. Though I should have the name of some medicine that works as well.

Good to hear about the Dhole sighting in Mae Wong. Good to know they are around.

28 Oct 2017 07:46 #4673 by Robby L
Replied by Robby L on topic Mae Wong - October 2017
I was at Mae Wong 31 July-1 August very windy with fog, like you I stayed at Kun Nam Yen as it has good toilets and is a bit more sheltered.

Tried the gully hides but had not been used for some time and no birds. Staff had started to cut the Umpang trail past the branch down to the gully from there on it was very overgrown. The little hide at the watering place farther down the trail was partly collapsed. Spent most of the time walking the road but saw very little, flies not a problem.
Then moved on to the river where I camped for 2 more nights and walked the track on the right past the stream crossing at the Mae Rawa conservation area again seeing very little.

Then did a quick stop at Huai Kha Khaeng where I stood, chairs were all gone, in the second watchtower (road 35) only things there were 2 Sanbar hinds with fawns and a Collard Falconet, on to Huai Mae Dee for the night where I walked the road up into the forest the next morning before heading home.

Not a very productive trip but better than sitting home.

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.
Attachments:

28 Oct 2017 09:15 - 28 Oct 2017 09:16 #4674 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Mae Wong - October 2017
Ton - could be I am not sure at this point. Its tender but does not itch nor does it seem to be spreading, the yellow puss bits seem to be emptying, so I will give it a few more days to see what happens.

Robby - interesting they were clearing the Umpang trailhead, maybe I will go back and have another mooch early next year when its drier.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com