• Me too's Avatar Topic Author
  • Nature Nut
More
10 months 4 weeks ago - 10 months 1 week ago #4736 by Me too
Mae Takhrai National Park was created by Me too
Supposedly this is a new park:
englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-national-p...-chiang-mai-lamphun/
Has anyone been up there?
Is their intent to connect all the parks in N Thailand?
mychiangmaitour.com/maetakhrai_national_park/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Me too
  • Nature Nut
More
10 months 4 weeks ago #4737 by Me too
The following user(s) said Thank You: WT admin

More
10 months 1 week ago #4749 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Mae Takhrai National Park
I would be interested to see any data supporting the animal claims, I would imagine they have camera trapped it a bit?.

I was just in the North and did quite a bit of treks around Mae Hong Son/Chiang Dao area and couldn't find the most basic of animal tracks or even basic sounds of squirrels, gibbons, etc

I did run into 3 Lesu/Karen poachers all with guns while walking a trail, never get used to that but they were at least nice. Found evidence of shot gun shells on the trail in another area. A lot of hunting pressure up there it seems. The forest itself looks amazing though, it could so easily support species if people would just give them a chance

• Me too
  • Nature Nut
More
10 months 1 week ago - 10 months 1 week ago #4750 by Me too
Replied by Me too on topic Mae Takhrai National Park
I'd try to ask the poacher/hunters: "kun hen sat mai?" to find out what kind of animal they've seen.
Of course you may not understand their response. But they know that place backwards and forwards.

Anyway, this park may not be as new as first suggested (or it's another park with the same name...):
www.tourismthailand.org/Attraction/Mae-T...-National-Park--3945
mychiangmaitour.com/maetakhrai_national_park/

More
10 months 1 week ago #4751 by Robby L
Replied by Robby L on topic Mae Takhrai National Park
What Little I know

It was on the list for one of our trips but from memory we gave it a miss because the camping area looked crap and back tracked to Khun Chae NP however I cant find anything I have written about that trip.

It is in quite a large forest complex with Khun Chae NP, and Si Laana NP to the north, Doi Khun Tan NP to the south and Chae Son NP to the east. The list of animals is taken directly from the NP PDF and because it is co-joined with other parks it is possible they are in the area.

Robby

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WT admin, Me too

More
10 months 1 week ago #4753 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Mae Takhrai National Park
About the animal claims. I think often for these parks the info is based on historic records. Surely tigers have roamed there in the past, and gibbons might have occurred, but if that is still the case...

I would however not say tigers are unlikely. Maybe even more likely than gibbons? Though maybe no true resident tigers?
Last year January an injured tiger was found in Thoen district in Lampang. Comparison shots were posted from a tiger with the same coat pattern suggesting it to be a tiger from Huai Kha Khaeng!
That's quite a distance!
From there it is pretty much continuous forest to Mae Takhrai NP. So certainly possible.

I guess it is not uncommon for especially males to migrate huge distances in search for new territory. And when such an individual is coincidentally seen or camera trapped, the park can claim they still have tigers, even if the tiger might not settle down in that area due to lack of prey or other reasons. It shows these animals do cross large obstacles like busy roads etc.
It shows how important it is to protect even just the small forested mountain ridges anywhere in the country which could help species migrate.
And if hunting would stop in all places and perhaps even prey species reintroduced in a wider range of parks, not just in the big famous spots, it could mean sooner or later the tigers could expand again.

The other species mentioned are likely to occur even be it in small numbers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Me too

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph