Mae Wong NP

16 Feb 2018 18:43 - 16 Feb 2018 19:13 #4805 by curlywombat
Mae Wong NP was created by curlywombat
Hi.
I'm looking for advice on the best way to spend 3-5 days in Mae Wong NP. I will be camping and not cooking, and I will be on foot/hitching.
I mainly want to see mammals, primates and birds. What are the best areas to walk, to wait? Where can I find trail maps etc? (I don't own a GPS and can barely use a smartphone).
Most of the information I have is from www.thainationalparks.com and a couple of the birding sites.
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Feb 2018 09:07 #4806 by WT admin
Replied by WT admin on topic Mae Wong NP
What time of year?

17 Feb 2018 12:53 #4807 by curlywombat
Replied by curlywombat on topic Mae Wong NP
Mid March, about 4-5 weeks from now.

17 Feb 2018 13:17 #4808 by WT admin
Replied by WT admin on topic Mae Wong NP
If you are camping but not cooking then you will have to base yourself at the HQ campsite as theres no food available at the upper 2 campsites. But for me the best of Mae Wong, be it the views, the cooler weather, the forest, the weather (fantastic to see the weather roll in at night - mainly rainy season though) is up at the top. You can try hitching lift, theres lots of people going up - not only to stay but because the road is tarmac theres a lot of daily up-down Thai tourist traffic just for the view. I would suggest getting a bagged meal/s from the HQ restaurant and going up. There are walking trails around the HQ (two I think) and of course theres small trails around the upper Chong Yen campsite. All the 3 campsites have good ablution facilities. Note: I have never stayed at the HQ camp site but looks nice.

For mammals theres no specific area - walking the road (both between the upper 2 campsites west of the HQ may bag you some small mammals (big mammals is by luck :+) here.

For birds I will leave that to the birders but I suspect other than a specific kingfisher most prefer the higher sites.

17 Feb 2018 13:29 #4809 by curlywombat
Replied by curlywombat on topic Mae Wong NP
Appreciated. Thanks.

18 Feb 2018 06:35 #4811 by Geoff Potter
Replied by Geoff Potter on topic Mae Wong NP
The Crested Kingfisher is the specialty lower down but hard to see. Try the campsite up from the HQ. On top are all the northern birds plus its really the only place you have a chance to see Burmese Yuhina and the Rufous Necked Hornbill.

Watch out for "Khun" on the top campsite, they are a small parasitic fly that bite like hell and itch for weeks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: curlywombat

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com