Hiking Khao Luang, Nakhon Si Thammarat

• BKKBen
  • BKKBen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Leech Bait
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #5098 by BKKBen
Hi again,

At the beginning of next year, I have a 10 days off from February 1st, and am giving serious consideration to doing the summit trek of Khao Luang in Khao Luang NP, Nakhon Si Thammarat. It is something that I've wanted to do for quite a while, and this seems like as good a time as any. Aside from the endemic Turquoise-throated Barbet, there are several other species of birds that are difficult to see elsewhere, especially in the south, and undoubtedly other animals to see while hiking and camping on the mountain.

I got in contact with Dave Sargeant from North Thailand Birding, as I read his excellent write-up about his trip from a couple of years back, and he gave me a few numbers to check out, but admitted that he himself hadn't done this part of the organizing. Anyway, my wife managed to get a hold of someone (after calling people and getting more phone numbers), and this guy has supposedly taken several groups of foreign birders up the mountain - for two nights on the mountain, his quoted price was 4,500B/person for 1-2 people, and 3,600B/person for 5+ people (I'm not sure what happens with 3-4 people haha). This price is (supposedly) inclusive of his guiding, porters and equipment, but excludes food etc. as seems usual. 

So, my question here is, would anyone like to join me on this adventure? While my interest is birds, I do like all wildlife and appreciate simply being out in nature. I do possibly have one friend (another birder) who may join, but really, I'm the only 'certain' at this moment.

Cheers,
Ben.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WT admin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #5100 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Hiking Khao Luang, Nakhon Si Thammarat
I have always wanted to do that hike to see the flora - its been at the top of my wants list for a while. Unfortunately I will be out the country Feb and March. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: BKKBen

• BKKBen
  • Leech Bait
More
2 months 1 week ago #5102 by BKKBen
Replied by BKKBen on topic Hiking Khao Luang, Nakhon Si Thammarat

Paul T wrote: I have always wanted to do that hike to see the flora - its been at the top of my wants list for a while. Unfortunately I will be out the country Feb and March. 

I also have time off in April, but as that's one of the few times my wife gets holidays, I doubt I'll convince her that we should do this then   haha

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #5115 by janpeterkelder
Replied by janpeterkelder on topic Hiking Khao Luang, Nakhon Si Thammarat
Would love to join, but April would be better for me. Just before Songkran. Shout me an email if you can do that month: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• BKKBen
  • Leech Bait
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #5117 by BKKBen
Replied by BKKBen on topic Hiking Khao Luang, Nakhon Si Thammarat

janpeterkelder wrote: Would love to join, but April would be better for me. Just before Songkran. Shout me an email if you can do that month: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Hi there, I shot you through an email, although February is still more likely than April.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph