Hiking Khao Luang, Nakhon Si Thammarat

22 Feb 2020 10:50 #5432 by wvwv
Replied by wvwv on topic Hiking Khao Luang, Nakhon Si Thammarat
If anybody is still interested in walking this this year I'll be there (in Nakhon Si Thammarat) on the weekend of June 20-21. So I could hike it in the days before then or ideally in the days after (22nd-24th?) June seems to be a pretty dry month for the area...

If no takers I'll give it a go anyway and report back later!
The following user(s) said Thank You: BKKBen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Feb 2020 20:03 #5435 by BKKBen
Replied by BKKBen on topic Hiking Khao Luang, Nakhon Si Thammarat
@wvwv, I will actually be doing this hike April 15-16 with another member of this forum. I was going to post soon to see if there was further interest, but I see you already have alternate plans. We will both be birding during our trip, with two key targets - Turquoise-throated Barbet and Malayan Laughingthrush - among other species not found often in southern Thailand.

Did you manage to find a guide, or will you attempt the hike without? I'm guessing when drier, the trail will be more apparent.

04 Mar 2020 15:53 #5436 by wvwv
Replied by wvwv on topic Hiking Khao Luang, Nakhon Si Thammarat
If alone I will probably try it without a guide. The GPS file would be very useful if you're there first. I have a GPS file but only 40% of it (below), I think somebody attempted it and then turned around. I hope the trail should be fairly obvious by then i.e. no sidetrails, and it should just be a case of following the ridgeline anyway. Good luck!

File Attachment:

File Name: Khao Luang...40%).gpx
File Size:16 KB
Attachments:

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com