Remember Me
Register
Facebook Login

Kui Buri North

21 Nov 2016 19:36 - 03 Jan 2019 09:08 #4063 by Geoff Potter
Kui Buri North was created by Geoff Potter
On Saturday I made a brave attempt to explore the northern entrance to Kuiburi National Park, I say brave because the road is still impassable except for extremely well fitted out 4WD’s so your only way in is to walk and its some walk: 3 hours in and 3 hours out. Not for the faint hearted, do not forget plenty of water if you attempt this.

The entrance to the park itself is about 20 KM south of the Pa La U waterfall entrance to KKC. It’s not difficult to find but its all along dirt farm roads and its clear that hardly anyone visits this site, I only know a few hardy birders that have been there. The single guard on the entrance looked decidedly shocked to get a visitor and advised me that there is no entrance fee, so that’s a plus.

The first hour or so is straight up and hard going, the forest is nice but there are clear signs of logging and possibly cultivation in the past. Get past the first few kilometers and things start picking up, the forest becomes very rich and bird life was abundant, I saw multiple pairs of Great Hornbills, Grey Peacock Pheasant and the secretive Spot-necked Babbler. In several spots there were signs of Gaur, deer etc, Gibbons were calling and several troops of Macaque crossed the road. At one point a tree housed what was undoubtedly the most butterflies I have ever seen in one spot, more even than in KKC’s famed stream beds. The forest deeper in is excellent and stretches of to the north to join KKC.

All in all it’s a tough spot to explore but the good news is that the guard told me that on the 30th of the month (November) the bulldozer will be grading the road and access by pick up will be possible. Well worth a visit if you feel a need to get out of KKC for a while! Herpers? well I didn't see any snakes but there again I never do. There are two stream crossings and multiple boggy wet areas if that helps. Camping, bring everything!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2016 06:52 - 28 Nov 2016 05:20 #4064 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Kui Buri North
Sweet, love the idea of a new location - I did some digging after our last chat so it can be given a name ..... "Namtok Phang Ta Khao" Namtok Phraek Takraw

More
26 Nov 2016 17:25 - 26 Nov 2016 17:30 #4078 by Paul T
Well I had a bit of a strange weekend. I was going to KK for a couple of days but after reading the weather forecast I changed my mind. Sometime ago Rushen had very kindly given me some details of a place near Pal-a-u for something that was very interesting - so I thought what the hell I have Friday off I am going to go to the place Rushen recommended. As that involved some night photography I had to have something to fill the day so I thought ....... no problem I will see if I can find the entrance to Kui Buri that Geoff mentioned. Then spend Saturday at KK.

The day started well - left Bangkok at 4 a.m. heading to Pala-u with a 1 hour detour to Laem Pak Bia. Finished at Pak Bia by 8:30 and was en route.

Well Geoff - that was a bloody difficult place to find, I must have driven through half of the pineapple fields in Thailand! I eventually found it at 1 p.m. !!

I pulled up at the gate of the substation (Kui Buri #3), jumped out and went looking for the ranger - nowhere to be seen, I called out but there was no one. No problem as I was not planning to stay, just log the place on my GPS so getting back would be easier, and faster, later in the year.

So if the above is a picture of the gate - why is my car in the photo? Why, because its broken down! Yes, I jumped into the car, turned the ignition and ........ nothing!

What to do? Never mind I thought, I will walk along the trail to see if the ranger is on the trail doing something. Nice trail, but after about two kilos I began to think this was not such a good idea, and looking at my watch and seeing 2 p.m. confirmed that. So it was back to the car - still no ranger - and she was still dead as a dodo. I have to admit this is not the first time that my old car (12 years already) has given up the ghost when I have been on my own in a remote park with no-one near by so I knew sitting and waiting was not a real option.

I set off for the village which was about 4 kilos away with the great company of the two sub-station dogs.

Well .... it was hot! By the time I had gotten to the village and found the Kamman I was litterally soaking with sweat. But what a great Kamman he was - a car was immediately supplied as well as help and we were off about another 5 kilos down the road to find someone who could help - but he wasn't at home! 5 kilos back to the village and an alternative fork in the road took another 3 or so kilos and we had a smiling kind soul who packed up his trusty tools in a rice sack and we were on the road again. One more trip back to the Kamman who was now not at home, but the sub-station dogs were eagerly wagging their tails and we were off with them gleefully following us.

We all, me + help + pickup + driver + dogs, got back to the sub-station about 4:30. And by 5:00 they had my old black bessie roaring into life again! But with no battery (it had given up the ghost) I had to drive without stopping the car until I could find a shop to replace the battery, if I stopped she would not start again. It was then that you realize how bloody remote this sub-station is ;+) I must have driven 40 ks before finding someone who had a big enough battery (needs to fire the winch as well as the car).

That night I slept the sleep of the relieved and the grateful - great location - fantastic people!! I will be back, if only to take them something to say a proper thank-you.

Attachments:

More
26 Nov 2016 19:01 #4079 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Kui Buri North
Quite a story, haha!
Glad you found help in the end.

It sounds like an interesting place, especially the fact Geoff heard gibbons. That's probably the best indicator of forest quality there is. Would love to check it out. Is there any possibility to camp inside or at this gate?

BTW, Your (Paul) previous reply in this post I thought initially you used a different name for the location. Somehow I remember your post used to say: Haeng Chad, or did I just come up with that through another source? Now I see you write Namtok Phang Ta Khao.

A link to the location on google maps would be very welcome...

More
26 Nov 2016 19:02 #4080 by rushenb
Replied by rushenb on topic Kui Buri North
Although you suffered a bit, the way you write it, I have to admit it was a very funny read. :)

I think you mixed me up with somebody else, I have never been in that area. Would love to get to that area some day, first need to buy a 4WD with good battery.

More
26 Nov 2016 19:09 - 26 Nov 2016 19:16 #4081 by Paul T
Theres a second half to the story but thats for when I finish the pics - I still had to drive for an hour once the battery was replaced to charge it ;+)

Ton - yes, there is a very small camp area to the left of my car (that was my back up plan ;+)
Yes you are right the name has changed 3 times so far - serves me right for not investigating enough - the "latest" name is correct there a waterfall series about 16 kms in but they said the track goes 20.

Rushen - check our Facebook "messages" - its taken me about a year so far and I still have not made it (clue : skull) :+)

The next question about this site is this ...............
Attachments:

More
26 Nov 2016 19:49 #4084 by onflipflops
OK glad to read that my mind was not playing tricks with me. Indeed I actually have seen three names, though forgot the second one.

However, the name Haeng Chad I had heard about before, and I found it on some page about being a birding spot, and it was marked a bit south of Pala-U. If I remember correctly I have seen an Asian Golden Cat image from somewhere there... Though while I just lost myself again using google maps satellite view I also noticed a stream called Haeng somewhere near the HQ of Kui Buri, so perhaps Haeng Chad should be somewhere there...
Still enough places to discover.

More
27 Nov 2016 04:34 - 28 Nov 2016 05:49 #4085 by Paul T
I made the same mistake from the same source, until Geoff pointed out that it was probably "national" as "national park" uthayan haeng chart

More
27 Nov 2016 12:26 #4087 by onflipflops
Haha, of course, I should have thought about that myself...
I was just thinking the 'Haeng'-part was meaning Dry, but had no idea about the 'chad'-part, haha.
Great it is possible to camp. And 20kms of road sounds great as well.
Any idea what the elevation would be in the area around the falls/ and around the entrance?

And do you expect the road excess gets bad in the wet season?

More
28 Nov 2016 05:19 #4088 by Paul T
Just a slight change to the name again now I can see the actual spelling ........

Namtok Phraek Takraw. Phreak Takraw is the also the name of the village I went to.
Attachments:

More

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph