Remember Me
Register
Facebook Login

Kui Buri North

11 Dec 2016 12:03 #4094 by Robby L
Replied by Robby L on topic Kui Buri North
I note you got a GPS position, could I get it from you please to make things easier if (when) I have a go at getting there.

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Dec 2016 07:02 - 02 Jan 2017 18:52 #4097 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Kui Buri North
12°21'41.83"N
99°33'18.52"E

see post below

19 Dec 2016 10:14 #4115 by Robby L
Thanks Paul.

RIP 2018 - Robby will always be remembered for his sharing of his trips and knowledge. Missed by all.

25 Dec 2016 13:55 - 29 Apr 2018 17:24 #4126 by Paul T
Geoff and I had a trip to recce the area on Friday and I stayed over another day.

Its a very interesting site, you have to climb a proverbial mountain to get in and then you drop down, then up another to finally get you into the river valley that is most interesting. Its an old logging road so until you get to "river crossing 1" there is a lot of bamboo.

Theres a camp at the end of the track, but you can't stay there without permission from the park HQ - after that theres a trail to the waterfall. Its seems to be the home of a few 4WD clubs but hopefully they won't be back around until it wets up again in June. Once it wets up theres NO getting in and out without a seriously modified 4WD. Even now, once you are past River crossing 1 theres some tricky entrances and exits to the river crossings that made us glad of AT tires and 4WD on Friday. Getting to river crossing 1 is not too easy because of the steepness of road but when dry a pickup or station wagon with clearance should be OK enough and you can walk the rest.

After River crossing 1 its still wet, I think because the morning mist gets trapped, there were still leeches around and Geoff got ticks as well. The river looks interesting, some deep pools and its much bigger than say the Plan - def a river rather than a stream.

You have to sign in and out, if theres no one on the gate and its locked just go down to the Ranger Station #3 in the village (about 4 ks - you pass it on the way in).

It was very quiet whilst we were there, I did walk the road on Saturday and there was very little sign which was a surprise. Saying that I saw stump tailed macaque (twice), dusky langur, grey bellied squirrel, bamboo rat (heard), pig (heard) gibbons (heard both days) and the highlight for me a binturong (my first ever sighting - yeeaaahhhh!!!!). Theres lot of gaur sign and lots of pig sign, but surprisingly in two days I saw no elephant sign whatsoever.
Attachments:

25 Dec 2016 14:01 - 25 Dec 2016 14:03 #4127 by Paul T
Heres the GPx file so you can have a closer look/use it

File Attachment:

File Name: KuiBuriStation3.GPX
File Size:112 KB
Attachments:

25 Dec 2016 14:12 #4128 by rushenb
Replied by rushenb on topic Kui Buri North
VERY interesting!.. So, another reason I have to buy a proper 4WD when it is time.. :)

25 Dec 2016 14:25 #4129 by Robby L
That mark you gave is in Burma it should be 12.214183 N 99.731852 E

No problem I worked it out

25 Dec 2016 14:38 - 25 Dec 2016 14:45 #4130 by Paul T
Ooopps! Sorry Robby.

Heres a pic of the camp at the end of the trail - a fixer upper

and a poor shot of the waterfall - it does looks nicer than this ......
Attachments:

25 Dec 2016 18:37 #4131 by Robby L
No problem Paul
Looking on Google maps I see the road the mark is on goes from south to north west, do you approach from the south or north west ?

Also looks to be several roads into different parts of the park, any idea if any give viable access ?

25 Dec 2016 19:44 - 26 Dec 2016 12:33 #4132 by Paul T
This is the only entrance at substation 3, there are other entrances further south for HQ and other substations.

To get there just follow the road to Pa la U and then as soon as you leave the elephant control area (road goes through a section of the KK park that has a big road block as each need before going to Pa La U) make the next left - then its straight ahead along an undulating hardtop/dirt road for 40 minutes (note just one turn 10 minutes in when you enter a village and it has a crossroad - turn right over the bridge here) until you get to Phraek Takhrom village - take a right at the "round about" in the village (the only junction in the village has been made into a pseudo roundabout with a guard hut in the middle) and then keep going for 2 ks to the bottom of the hill where there is a left fork with pics of animals on it - then its another 4 k straight to the gate.

Timing - it takes 4.5 hours from Bangkok with no traffic. I stayed overnight near Pa La U and then drove in early in the morning. If you do it that way I recommend where I stayed - it was called the Ing Khao - its just before you enter the elephant area (see above) - 1500 baht a night, ask from room #4, you will be pleased. I was their only guest.

www.facebook.com/ingkhao.glamping/

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph