Facebook Login

Kui Buri North

21 Mar 2017 12:19 - 21 Mar 2017 12:50 #4319 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Kui Buri North
Just a point of warning - I was at this site last Wednesday for the day and had set up a hide in the forest on a bend in the river. I was not the only person there - two different sets of poachers walked into me (literally- I had to engage both in conversation which was very strange) an hour apart. One pair poachers, the other I would describe as collectors. This was 11 k inside the the park.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Jan 2018 08:47 #4770 by Paul T
I had a visit here last week and you no longer need 4wd - the road has been repaired, the stream crossings (which were the hairy bit) have now all be concreted and toilets have been installed.

Bit of a disappointment really ;+)

Would be OK in a normal 2wd drive pickup but def not doable in a saloon.

22 Jan 2018 20:54 #4777 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Kui Buri North
They are preparing for tourism?

12 Nov 2018 08:52 #5123 by Paul T
Some sad news - the birder who "discovered" this place and whose local patch is was - Tom Backlund - sadly passed away last month from a brain tumor.

He had been diagnosed just over year ago. He was very kind to me when I was recovering from my stroke and used to send me messages of encouragement from Sriraj hospital whilst I was over the other side of town in Samitivej. Made me smile.

A great guy with a big heart. Another sad loss.

08 Dec 2018 08:52 - 08 Dec 2018 08:54 #5139 by Paul T
As of December 1, 2018 the road has been regraded again so is passable by 4WD and 2WD with clearance (clearance is needed on the stream crossings not the road itself)  - zero chance with a saloon though.

The stream crossings beyond the double weir are still quite difficult though so in a 2WD you would need high clearance and confidence. You can park at the double weir and walk the last section easily (you will get wet feet), which has quite a few common mammals - on a morning walk I saw 3 troupes of pig taileds, 1 troop dusky langur, Lar gibbon, and giant squirrel, in the last section. 

14 Jan 2019 04:28 #5167 by Paul T
Even has its own sea of fog at this time of year.
Attachments:

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2019 wildlifethailand.com