Facebook Login

Other Protected Areas - Entrance Fees?

07 May 2019 11:09 #5212 by BKKBen
Over the past long weekend (May 4-6), my wife and I went down to Chantaburi and explored a few areas. While down there, we went to Khao Laem Sing Forest Park as well as Ao Khung Kraben Non-hunting Area. The forest park was like others that I've visited, in that there was no entrance fee. It was a pleasant area of forest and beach on Laem Sing, and had a couple of small trails to explore.

At the larger Ao Khung Kraben NHA, however, I was charged 200B to enter (my wife, 20B). While I don't particular like the dual pricing, it's not usually a deal-breaker for me especially if I've never been to the area, and this NHA was a nice place that once again had a few small trails, as well as accommodation that could be rented and campsites. I've been to two other Non-hunting Areas in Thailand, Bang Phra NHA in Chonburi (in 2017), and Laem Thalumphuk NHA in Nakhon Si Thammarat (in 2018), and at the latter I was only charged 20B to enter, while at the former I wasn't charged anything (but I don't think I entered through a proper entrance, and I've heard that one must now pay).

My question is, does anyone here have experiences with other Non-hunting Areas (entrance fees, facilities etc.), and how do they differ in their level of protection? Do they fit somewhere between the small 'Forest Parks' and the larger 'National Parks/Wildlife Sanctuaries'?

Thanks,

Ben.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 May 2019 13:16 #5213 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Other Protected Areas - Entrance Fees?
Hi Ben
I have only been to a few of them and with different results each time thus i dont think there is a standard protocol for these types of places.  Of the 3 I can think i went to only one charged me and it was the smallest of them all and with what seemed only one person to look over the area

For me I am happy to pay if there is structure such as a gate or its marked where i go to pay, if there is not i enjoy the park without worrying about it and deal with any consequences if they come

09 May 2019 08:19 #5214 by BKKBen
Replied by BKKBen on topic Other Protected Areas - Entrance Fees?
Thanks, Jonathon. Which NHAs have you been to?

The one at Ao Khung Kraben had quite a few facilities (including the aforementioned accommodation blocks), and given that it included coastline and a few small rocky beaches, was quite busy and seemed popular with Thai tourists (given it was a long weekend, though). Laem Thalumphuk NHA in Nakhon Si Thammarat was good too, with its windswept peninsular, though I did find it odd that at the far end of the peninsular there was a man selling shellfish - is fishing etc. allowed in these areas?! People seemed to be camping at this NHA, but I didn't see any accommodation blocks. There were, however, several boardwalks/ raised pathways through various parts of the mangroves there, as well as an observation tower, and the place is quite good for migratory birds. Unfortunately, I've heard that the government was considering reclaiming some of this protected area to give to people who were affected by Tropical Storm Pabuk earlier this year.

09 May 2019 10:03 #5215 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Other Protected Areas - Entrance Fees?
fishing would certainly not be allowed for a foreigner haha
The last version of protected area i went to i found 3 snares that i removed and startled a few thais picking mushrooms illegally, its a free for all it seems, especially in the north where anything that moves is food to some of the locals

13 May 2019 12:23 #5216 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Other Protected Areas - Entrance Fees?

BKKBen wrote:
My question is, does anyone here have experiences with other Non-hunting Areas (entrance fees, facilities etc.), and how do they differ in their level of protection? Do they fit somewhere between the small 'Forest Parks' and the larger 'National Parks/Wildlife Sanctuaries'?

Thanks,

Ben.

They are all at different levels, and thus can have different pricings, facilities and access. Some have extensive infrastructure like Bung Buraphet and some have nothing at all. There 52 (?) of them all togther and they have lower levels of protection (some have none effectively) along with Forest Parks and Ramsar sites. Theoretically their status can lead to a higher status of protection in the future. On site management is more than usual a local entity/concern. 

Quite a few are good birding options but for "mamalers" like me more than not, not worth it.

17 May 2019 09:33 #5217 by BKKBen
Replied by BKKBen on topic Other Protected Areas - Entrance Fees?
Thanks for the input, Paul.

I've definitely found some interesting birds at a couple of NHAs, and I know Bueng Borapet turns up some rare waterfowl, but I can see why they are of little interest to those chasing mammals.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2019 wildlifethailand.com