Facebook Login

Siamese Crocodile - Kaeng Krachan NP

23 Jan 2021 18:35 #5575 by BKKBen
Siamese Crocodile - Kaeng Krachan NP was created by BKKBen
Not sure if everyone here saw this, but thought I'd share anyway.

www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/205...q7BsqnYx7qzlI2CMmB80

My question: Is the population at KK completely 'natural', or are there questions about its provenance like with the Khao Yai specimen?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Jan 2021 11:15 - 24 Jan 2021 12:08 #5577 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Siamese Crocodile - Kaeng Krachan NP
Yes they are natural, photograpic evidence currently goes back to 1975 when photographs exist of them being caught to transfer to a farm. WCS and the Park has had a project on them since the very early noughties. Nests with eggs are found most years and its estimated there are 5-7 animals remaining. Sign (nests, tracks, scat) is found every year but the animals themselves are rarely seen this is why the pictures are so special. Its not known if theres a male because a sample of the eggs are tested each year and to my knowledge {?) the samples have been infertile. I am not sure about them beyond this or further project details.

Since the WCS project began they have been noted to be retreating further upstream. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: BKKBen

27 Jan 2021 19:05 #5580 by BKKBen
Replied by BKKBen on topic Siamese Crocodile - Kaeng Krachan NP
Cheers, Paul.

Thanks for the info.

31 Jan 2021 08:51 #5583 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Siamese Crocodile - Kaeng Krachan NP
WCS put out a nice video of Manoon and his team's journey to set up the cameras at one of the crocodile areas. They have to physically carry the inflatable through about 5 km of forest before they get to the their set off point on the river and then inflate it. 

Makes my trips to photograph squirrels look as tame as a hotel brunch visit.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.