Pang Sida - Budapot Wildlife watching tower

08 Mar 2013 21:55 - 19 May 2013 12:01 #800 by Bagheera
On the short 20minute walk to the watching tower I came across these footprints at a dried up puddle. I am not really sure what they are so thought I would pose it to people far more informed and intelligent than me as to what they are?? I am leaning towards Dhole but I am very open to be corrected!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Mar 2013 22:18 - 08 Mar 2013 22:19 #801 by Bagheera
Replied by Bagheera on topic Pang Sida - Budapot Wildlife watching tower
So on the way to where we parked the car I see a monitor lizard up ahead and shout out เหี้ย! My girlfriend asks me whats wrong and why are you swearing?? So I have to explain I'm not swearing and that there is a เหี้ย up ahead so pass me my camera quick! Unfortunately the message doesn't get through in time and by the time I have the lizard in focus it has scurried off into the undergrowth and I cant get a clear shot. Anyway I take the photo of this beautiful lizard that is unfortunate to have such negative linguistic connotations in Thailand!!

08 Mar 2013 22:34 - 08 Mar 2013 22:50 #802 by Bagheera
Upon reaching the wildlife watching tower within 5 minutes I spot a herd of Gaur at the far edge of the grassland. We watch them for about an hour and they come gradually closer to us but unfortunately the best shot I can get it this shooting at 600mm and its still miles away!

Other wildlife seen but that I did not manage to photograph include muntjac and crab eating mongoose.
Ill definitely be coming back here for the early mornings and afternoons, seems like a good place to observe wildlife..

10 Mar 2013 15:47 #803 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Pang Sida - Budapot Wildlife watching tower
Sweet! I think I am quickly becoming the only person to never see a gaur from the watchtower yet! Very happy you had a good time - I like Pang Sida a lot, the lack of crowds especially.

I would agree with your call on the footprint being a dhole also.

Great shots!

10 Mar 2013 20:25 #804 by Bagheera
Thanks for the kind words trekker!, Pangsida really isnt that far away from me aswell, so i can see myself making quite few trips there in the future, definitely take a tent next time and sleep over so I can to that tower early morning..!

When I got home I checked mongoose, civet, sun bear footprints but they were nowhere near. So I though well ill look a t dhole just in case and it looked a pretty good match. I wasnt even aware they were existent in Pang sida! Are they ever seen at all do you know?

27 Mar 2013 23:09 #869 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Pang Sida - Budapot Wildlife watching tower
About 3 months ago a dhole group killed a sambar deer just off the road about 300 meters from the parking towards the watch tower. Rangers said that within 2 days there was nothing left including the bones! I have also seen prints and scat for them along the trail down where the rain collects into pools.

I have also seen Dhole very quickly about 2km further down the road on a well worn path both early mornings and evening. I did a road stake out for one of the known trails but came up empty

As for the watchtower, I have spent about 10 late afternoons there with only one time seeing Guar, couple of times seeing deer but they are always extremely nervous. There arent many places with such great unobstructed views and the potential to see any of Thailand's big animals

Pangsida is probably not the easiest place to be a predator with Tigers, Leopards, Dhole, and countless other smaller predators fighting for a meal

That same species of Bengal Monitor lizard sits around the road in the early mornings to get sun and are an easy target for your lens

Attachments:

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com