Best time to visit Pang Sida

07 Aug 2013 14:09 - 07 Aug 2013 16:03 #1202 by onflipflops
Best time to visit Pang Sida was created by onflipflops
Hi,

I was wondering how it would be like to visit Pang Sida national park on a weekend in December.
In Khao Yai the camping grounds are absolutely packed. Luckily most trails remain just as quiet as usual, but all the traffic on the roads reduces the chance to see anything while driving.
In a way I'm glad to see that the locals are (in their own way) enjoying nature, but I don't neccessarily want to be part of it, haha.

Is it the same in Pang Sida? I think I've heard it's not too bad. There is hardly any water in the waterfalls, if I'm correctly informed, so not much reason for Thai people to go there. But I might be wrong.

How about other parks?
Kaeng Krachan, Thab Lan, Huay Kha Kaeng?
Or if you know of any other interesting parks that are quiet in the winter, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Aug 2013 16:01 - 07 Aug 2013 16:03 #1204 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Best time to visit Pang Sida
Its OK, nothing like the KY masses. You have been to the Huai Nam Yen site so you know what its like, a few people and its full. I stayed up there twice this last month or so and it had quite a few campers - I was surprised. There is also a big camp site behind the visitor centre which never seems to have anyone in (very comfy though), and another down the road at the Chong Klam Bon Station which I have never seen anyone camping at. Only Huai Nam Yen has elevation but in Dec that should not be an issue. Mid week would be empty.

HKK - am not sure you camp at the HQ without permission - not sure, there is a camping area there though. Huai Mae Dee you can camp but small site, nice though. At Namtok Cyber can camp but no trails and lots of local weekenders.

Thap lan - quiet as most people stay in the local hotels (masses of them) and dont really venture into the park.

Kaeng Krachan - weekend will be packed in Dec. But mid week not.

My favourite camping park is Mae Wong, cold and windy year round, 4 camp sites. Always found a spot with nobody else there.

07 Aug 2013 20:57 #1206 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Best time to visit Pang Sida
Thanks for your reply.

We've camped at the designated camping area in Huai Kha Kaeng in March, the part of the sanctuary that is open for visitors without permits. On the little open area near a restaurant, visitor center, and a couple of bungalows. Walking around in the dark was a bit scary as the wild boars were coming quite close to the camping area. Not to mention that I know of a birding guide who had seen a leopard last january just opposite of the river behind the little restaurant. 10:00AM while looking for kingfishers...
Only two Thai photographers were camping there when we were there, but I guess few people will visit this park. Little to do for the average Thai visitor other than visiting the statue of Mr. Sueb.
We had a quick look at the HKK Mae Dee area. But according to the ranger there was one trail that we could do from there, and he insisted there was nothing to see. And no way he would let us pass the gate to go deeper.

Mae Wong NP. Never been there. I've heard it's good for birding, but not sure if it's interesting for mammals. Though did read some article about a tigress captured by a camera trap with 3 cubs somewhere deep in Mae Wong. So I presume if there is tiger, there has to be more. I did hear it gets really cold over there, especially in the winter months.

Thanks for sharing!

10 Aug 2013 20:22 #1216 by Bagheera
Replied by Bagheera on topic Best time to visit Pang Sida
I have some free time this coming week so was gonna shoot up to Pangsida, I havent overnighted there before, Is it possible to camp at the ranger station that's on the dirt road that leads up to the viewpoint?
I was particularily after some shots of yellow throated marten, do any of you pangsida regulars have any tips or is it pot luck?!

cheers

11 Aug 2013 00:08 #1219 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Best time to visit Pang Sida
I've camped there on my one and only visit. So I suppose it's possible.
And on one of the days I was standing at the camp looking South (I guess, maybe South West...) and saw something move in one of those really tall (Dipterocarp?) trees. Just before I had heard macaques fighting somewhere there in the jungle and expected this was a macaque. Anyway took a shot with my camera just to check, and then found out it was a marten. When I walked along the road to get a closer look, suddenly one appeared onto the road, and kept running along the road and disappeared into the forest.

Jonathan's marten pics have been made along that same road. So I guess your best chance is driving up and down the road early morning. I guess it's pure luck, but anyway fun to do!

I was lucky to see Leopard Cat once while driving North of the camp, and another time just right on the road in front of the camp. I was in the tent when I heard a strange call. And I'm quite sure it appeared again on one of the second (or third nights) same area only my battery power of my flashlight was too low to get a clear view, but I'm pretty sure it was a cat and not a civet. Only the first sighting on the night drive I had my camera with me. The second sighting was the best, it was just about 7 meters away from me and did not even seemed to care much about my presence. Time enough to get a good shot before it anyway decided to hide, but the camera was locked up in the car... I've noticed they might hide when you approach, but while hiding behind some leaves they keep an eye on you, instead of running as far as they can. Noticed the same in Khao Yai.

Good chance to see Gaur.

I'm not sure if driving at night is allowed, though nobody seemed to care. And being the only car out there, it seems you have a good chance to see some shy wildlife.

Good luck!

11 Aug 2013 22:23 #1225 by Bagheera
Thanks for the advice and tips there onflipflops, appreciated.
Sounds like there is quite a good chance at the smaller mammals which is what I was hoping for. You seem to have had some pretty cool encounters already!
Are there any records of other cat species in Pangsida besides Tiger and Leopard cat?
Anyway I'll have to check it out so will hopefully get away soon..

16 Aug 2013 16:40 #1247 by Xenocrab
Replied by Xenocrab on topic Best time to visit Pang Sida
I have records of Golden Cat, Marbled Cat, Clouded Leopard. Many other carnivores, 2 species of bear, many civets including Spotted Linsang. Great park.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bagheera

16 Aug 2013 20:49 #1250 by Bagheera
Wow, thats very exciting indeed.
I should be there monday evening so looking forward to my first real visit there..

21 Oct 2015 11:50 #3183 by NN
Replied by NN on topic Best time to visit Pang Sida
We visited Pang Sida around NY time. It was very quiet. We rented a house right near the second entrance, there was another house next door that was empty. The only problem was a group of noisy uni students who visited for a day. It was around B2,000 for three bedrooms, large balcony - great for a family.

The ranger told me every year elephants come down to creek near where we stayed in. This would be great to see from the safety/comfort of the house.

I saw a single hornbill, two deer and one giant squirrel. There were hardly any birds, lots of animal tracks but no sightings. Although, while standing by the road I heard a loud roar from the jungle, it sounded like something very big, maybe a bear?

In the center of the park, at the top, is a campground. The have sleeping platforms with a roof and wall on one side. This looked like a really comfortable area to stay. The whole park has a very isolated feel. It's dryer and less over cast than KY.

I'm considering going there again in the coming weeks. This time I'll stay at the campground. Does anyone know if it's a good time?

21 Oct 2015 12:57 #3186 by bootly66
Replied by bootly66 on topic Best time to visit Pang Sida
Sorry can't help you there...I would be interested in what you find there bird wise..I am thinking of checking the park out myself at Xmas

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com