Best time to visit Pang Sida

04 Oct 2016 20:23 #3979 by NN
Replied by NN on topic Best time to visit Pang Sida
We visited around Nov last year (from memory) and saw several gaur. It's nice and isolated at the campsite, but still plenty of cars making the trek for the view. On my previous visit I was waiting at dawn for them to open the gate. Standing by my car there was a huge roar from the jungle. Not sure what it was, but sounded very big and not like a bear (although I'm not sure exactly what they sound like).

I am considering going there again in the coming days. Does anyone know if it's a good time to visit? If not I could go to KY, but I prefer PS for the solitude and the comfortable sleeping set up at the camp site.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Oct 2016 13:36 #3980 by WT admin
Replied by WT admin on topic Best time to visit Pang Sida
I like Pang Sida all year around, like anywhere at this time of year as long as its not raining it should be good. I too like the Huai Naam Yen camp site, esp. in the week.

07 Oct 2016 11:55 #3983 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Best time to visit Pang Sida
This season should be quiet up there. I have tried to visit the last weekend of December, which would be absolutely packed in Khao Yai, but there were only a couple of cars in Pangsida. Just slightly more busy than on my other visits.

Great park, but the widespread logging problem and the fact that the loggers like to shoot, worries me a lot. Even though the road driving can be successful, I prefer jungle hiking, but have seen too many illegal logging tracks to feel convenient in the forest.

18 Feb 2018 09:11 - 18 Feb 2018 09:18 #4812 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Best time to visit Pang Sida
I guess this is a relevant reply, just back from Pang Sida yesterday, the winds have shifted and its HOT again there. Dry season is in full swing at Pang Sida but theres still a lot of wildlife to take in and lots of animal activity.

You can see much deeper into the jungle this time of year which is nice, and as pointed out driving is always exciting due to the potential of wildlife crossing the road. On that note the road is currently in great shape, you could even get in there with a honda civic if you had to.

There have been some minor changes to the campground from when I was there last, new bamboo platforms to put your tent on get you off the ground although you had better be prepared to sweat like crazy during the day

Saw hours old evidence of bear, dhole, and a somewhat recent tiger track which is always fun to see (thats the girlfiends size 7.5 US shoe)

The only rough part of this time of year is the ticks and sweat bees. They were both in top form, best to wear your leech socks and full pants and shirt otherwise your covered with them very quickly. I tried out my blind again use in Khao Yai and there were quickly hundreds of bees around me after two hours of sitting.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WT admin

18 Feb 2018 10:09 #4813 by WT admin
Replied by WT admin on topic Best time to visit Pang Sida

jonathanbkk wrote: ...... and there were quickly hundreds of bees around me after two hours of sitting.

Yes its that time of year again - one drop of sweat is all they need. I am usually covered from head to toe in the hide at this time of year, long gloves, neck cover, facemask, the lot. I end up attracting more bees with the additional perspiration but at least the bees can't get to me - just annoy me.

18 Feb 2018 14:27 - 19 Feb 2018 08:30 #4816 by jonathanbkk
Replied by jonathanbkk on topic Best time to visit Pang Sida
Ahh we should mention the mosquito head net cover for the bees if your planning to sit in a hide or view point, wont make it long without it - good point to bring up, without the face mask netting I could make it even 5 min especially since the sting causes a fair bit of swelling and pain, can you imagine getting stung as they were landing near your eyes?

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2020 wildlifethailand.com