Facebook Login
× Note: Sanctuaries are different to National Parks in Thailand, Thailand currently has established 39 sanctuaries and access is more restrictive as their role is as a sanctuary for wildlife rather than a park for the nation. Some sanctuaries do allow limited access to tourists.

Huai Kha Kaeng info

17 Jul 2014 22:15 #2111 by wildambience
Replied by wildambience on topic Huai Kha Kaeng info
We didn't end up visiting Huai Kha Kaeng in May after all - due to the military coup our trip was re-routed. However, we will be heading to Thailand and HKK next week so hoping the weather is decent and we can record some wildlife. Thanks again for the information and looking forward to hitting some of the trails!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Jul 2014 16:07 - 20 Jul 2014 16:12 #2121 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Huai Kha Kaeng info
Just to make sure you don't get too excited, don't expect too much of the hiking trails. Khao Hin Daeng is great and a good area to see wildlife (macaques, langurs, gibbons, deer; though most are very shy, and there are always lots of other wildlife tracks to find), but I am not too excited about the other trails that are open for visitors. But who knows, there is always the possibility that you have a sighting of a lifetime.

Last week it has rained a little, but not much. The river is still at a normal level.
Probably the best tip I can give is to make friends with the rangers. Might not always be easy if you're visiting for the first time. But if you meet the right ones, they can be helpful. And you need luck not too many others are visiting. Even though the park sees very few visitors, even if there is just one other group and they have 'booked' the observation tower, you will have to change your plans. Plan ahead and discuss your plans with the rangers. I used to avoid that, but I've now learned it makes things much easier.
Enjoy your stay!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wildambience

21 Jul 2014 01:41 #2122 by wildambience
Thanks for the tips - I'm especially looking forward to exploring the Khao Hin Daeng trail.
I'll post some photos and sounds after the trip.

21 Jul 2014 11:01 #2123 by onflipflops
Looking forward to see the results of your trip. How many days are you going to spend there?

21 Jul 2014 16:06 #2126 by wildambience
We'll be there for four nights from Wednesday to Sunday, then head down to Kaeng Krachan for three nights. I thought we'd do it that way around to avoid the weekend at KK.

21 Jul 2014 19:31 #2127 by onflipflops
Sounds good. Indeed better to spend the weekend at HKK , and visit KK only on weekdays.
Wish you good luck!

13 Aug 2015 21:00 #3031 by marcnus
Replied by marcnus on topic Huai Kha Kaeng info
Hello everyone,
I am planning to go to huay ka kaeng tomorrow.
I would like to know if it is possible to go from the bang rai entrance to the uthai thani entrance staying in the park.
Any good spot you recommend to go and try to see wildlife.
Thank you

13 Aug 2015 21:19 #3032 by onflipflops
Hi Marc, only place you can enter (unless you have special permits) will be at the Lan Sak area (HQ). You can move freely along the 13km dirt road between the entrance gate and the gate near HQ area.
There is a camp ground at HQ area, but you'll have to bring your own camping gear.
There are a few trails which you are allowed to walk. Home of the Tiger Trail, Khao Hin Daeng trail and
Officially, for visiting the watchtowers you will have to ask permission and get a ranger to accompany you (except for the third tower few hundred metres from the camp.).

Enjoy your stay!

23 Dec 2015 09:13 #3284 by bootly66
Replied by bootly66 on topic Huai Kha Kaeng info
Does anyone know how/where to book the bungalows inside the park... I was there a couple of weeks ago and the rangers told me i could only book online.. but i cant find anything...any ideas???

24 Dec 2015 11:10 #3289 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Huai Kha Kaeng info
There is an online booking system but only for the NPs not the sanctuaries as far as I know. Some sanctuaries allow use of the research accommodation on an "as available" basis (i.e. Phu Khieo). Never heard of a system for HKK - but in honesty I rarely go there.

www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/reservation.asp?lg=1
The following user(s) said Thank You: bootly66

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.