Facebook Login
× Note: Sanctuaries are different to National Parks in Thailand, Thailand currently has established 39 sanctuaries and access is more restrictive as their role is as a sanctuary for wildlife rather than a park for the nation. Some sanctuaries do allow limited access to tourists.

Phu Khieo Wildlife Sanctuary - August 2014

15 Oct 2014 18:24 #2378 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Phu Khieo Wildlife Sanctuary - August 2014
Sounds great, Trekker!
We want pics! ;)
The forest is really great over there.
The only thing I hoped a bit was that they had some more big cats around, but seems like the numbers are very low, apart from Clouded Leopard maybe...

Cool you got to see Gaur and elephants. We missed out on these, but from the stories of the rangers, and the abundance of tracks of both species, I guess we were just not so fortunate. There seems to be a reasonable chance to see these big mammals. They see really large herds of elephants in certain times of the year. And it's a great place for primates too.

I too hope to be back in the dry season.
See you there ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Oct 2014 17:11 - 28 Oct 2014 13:21 #2406 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Phu Khieo Wildlife Sanctuary - August 2014
Sorry for the delay - am catching up. Not a great selection considering though. The macro are with my new canon macro setup so I was more experimenting with its use, than trying to get good pics. The mammals are with my "old" Nikon and the shots are a bit "tame" to say the least. I will have to try a little harder next time.

Ants (Camponotus sp maybe)

Assassin bug - unknown

Froghopper (Cercopidae)

Treehopper (Membracidae)
Attachments:

27 Oct 2014 17:26 - 28 Oct 2014 08:11 #2407 by Paul T
Pygmy White-toothed Shrew - Suncus etruscus

Green peafowl

Hog Deer

Hog Deer
Attachments:

27 Oct 2014 17:28 - 28 Oct 2014 08:08 #2408 by Paul T
and lastly. Phrayes Langur - they were very very skittish which was a difference from a few years ago when I got very close.

Released female sambar

A planthopper I am struggling to ID
Attachments:

03 Nov 2014 10:22 #2473 by Bagheera
Replied by Bagheera on topic Phu Khieo Wildlife Sanctuary - August 2014
Awesome sets of photographs to both you guys, Phu Kieow is definitely on my 'to visit' list now..

03 Jan 2015 12:17 - 06 Jan 2015 08:23 #2610 by Paul T
I had another visit to Phu Khieo Xmas week, it was for 3 days but the first day was a disaster that I don't think the Phu Khieo staff will forget soon.

I topped the car up with fuel before heading out of Chum pae and the car conked about 6 kilometers from the HQ - I had to walk about 5 ks before coming over some very very kind rangers who sprang to my assistance. They saved me. The fuel station had filled my diesel pickup with gasohol and Khun Piak and his kind assistants spent hours bleeding my car's fuel system and getting me going again. Its at times like that, that I realize just how kind and generous Thai's can truly be - I can't imagine such help forthcoming in my own country of birth. I am also eternally grateful to Khun Piak for taking me around at sunset and sharing his knowledge and the back of his motorbike on what was a very interesting and insightful trek.

It was horrendously cold at night! A cold spell hit on my arrival and it was seriously cold - enough to make it difficult to sleep. I ditched the hammock after the first night and put up my tent as I figured the ground was much warmer than the air. I don't think I have known it so cold in my time in Thailand.

I did not see anything particularly spectacular but I like it that, so far, I have gotten shots of animals on all 3 of my visits - theres not many places I can say that about in Thailand.

Female Axis porcinus (Indochinese Hog Deer) and/on the open grassland that they habituate at the headquarters.
Attachments:

03 Jan 2015 12:18 - 03 Jan 2015 12:20 #2611 by Paul T
Attachments:

03 Jan 2015 12:19 #2612 by Paul T
Attachments:

05 Jan 2015 21:54 #2614 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Phu Khieo Wildlife Sanctuary - August 2014
Nice work! Like the Sambar in its environment shot. And cool you captured the singing Gibbon .
Would love to go back there to further explore, but will probably not have the time to go anytime soon. Hopefully later this year.

I agree about the rangers there. Very friendly and welcoming.
Next time I will keep an eye on the guys at the gas station ;)
Don't want to get the same problem as you did.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul T

06 Jan 2015 08:33 - 06 Jan 2015 08:35 #2615 by Paul T
Thanks flipflops. I must have seen 6 or 7 jackals this trip, but all in low light. Did not see any Phayre's or Resus' though which was a surprise.

I drove there from Bangkok this time and took a friend's (who is often in Chum Pae) advice on the route - I ignored the GPS which would have dragged me via Khon Khaen and headed through Chaiyaphum. Much quicker route from Bangkok at 6 to 6 1/2 hours to Chum Pae (which has loads of hotels to overnight in) and then an early morning drive to PK of about 30 minutes to the entrance. Its still too far for a weekend trip from Bangkok but for a long weekend the drive is OK.

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.