Facebook Login
× Note: Sanctuaries are different to National Parks in Thailand, Thailand currently has established 39 sanctuaries and access is more restrictive as their role is as a sanctuary for wildlife rather than a park for the nation. Some sanctuaries do allow limited access to tourists.

Phu Khieo Wildlife Sanctuary - August 2014

06 Jan 2015 09:14 #2616 by Bagheera
Replied by Bagheera on topic Phu Khieo Wildlife Sanctuary - August 2014
Lovely shots Trekker, I really like the morning mist shot and the gibbon in full song. The squirrels are great aswell, they really held nice poses for you!

What kind of a state is the forest in? I ask because I have heard Gibbons are an indicator species of an healthy forest so wondered what your impressions were from being there?

There seems to be a fair few prey species in these forests, I'm wondering out loud here if perhaps this forest could be hiding a few larger felines, perhaps CL's or L's..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Jan 2015 12:17 #2617 by onflipflops
Replied by onflipflops on topic Phu Khieo Wildlife Sanctuary - August 2014
Hi Bagheera,

From my visit earlier last year I can tell you there is primary forest in great condition. It's definitely not 100% primary cover, but a good percentage from what I could see. Gibbon presence and the larger hornbills are great indicators for quality forest.

I've talked with an Assamese Macaque researcher who has spend the last 8 years, 20 days per month from sunrise till sunset in the forest.
He told about frequent encounters with bears, and he had seen Clouded Leopard quite a few times! Time is the key to success of course.
I've seen scratches on trees which were very likely from CL.
There is a big Dhole pack around the HQ. I did not see them, but have seen the images, at least one of the pack had a radio-collar on the images I've seen. Not sure if they are still being followed.
A Thai photographer showed me his images of Dholes taking down an almost fully grown Gaur.
A 3 hour fight, but the dogs won!
But none of these people had seen T or L, and from what I remember even not the tracks of these. But not sure if they have been looking out for it...
I would not be surprised if these larger cats would be more likely found in the area connecting with Nam Nao NP. From what I remember the forest looks a bit different there, which I would guess is a bit more like big cat habitat.
What I've read online almost 20 tigers were found during a study in 2001. But I have no idea how bad the poaching is in that area so no idea if this is still an accurate number.

06 Jan 2015 12:37 #2618 by onflipflops
Just read a report about sightings of felids during a Phayre's Langur research project.
8 out of the 9 species of Thailand occur there and were all sighted according to the report.
Only Flat-headed Cat is not found in the area.

All 3 Leopard encounters mentioned in this report were melanistic individuals.
And it mentions a sighting of two adult Clouded Leopards where the observers were treated on a 2 hour long sighting! A photo made through a binocular shows one of them up in the tree. What an experience that must have been!

07 Jan 2015 10:08 #2621 by Bagheera
Replied by Bagheera on topic Phu Khieo Wildlife Sanctuary - August 2014
Flipflops, that sounds really encouraging on the forest, there really is nothing quite like a good bit of primary cover to stir the soul! I must get down there at some point in the future.

Dholes taking down a Gaur? That is truly incredible and if you hadn't been shown photos I would have been sceptical, just goes to show what can be achieved when a big pack hunts together.

Do you have a link to that Phayre's langur project which contained the sighting of felids section? Would be interesting to read!

07 Jan 2015 12:01 #2623 by onflipflops
Hi Bagheera,

Well, I was not skeptical about the Dhole taking down Gaur, because it was not the first time I had seen images. Another Thai photographer had shown me the same situation, and I believe also from Phu Khieo. From what I remember the situation looked different, but who knows these two photographers were at the same spot at the same time...
Anyways, when Dholes have their mind on something, they are going for it.

However, last year, some people got to see Dholes taking on an elephant calf in Khao Yai np. In this case I guess the Dholes were a bit too afraid of the adult members of the elephant herd, and retreated eventually. Probably not hungry enough, haha, and easier prey around.

Follow this link, and click the little thumbnail of the Cat News cover (source) and there you find the article.

www.researchgate.net/publication/2352246...y_Northeast_Thailand

Wish you a speedy recovery so you can get back to the enjoyment of visiting the Thai jungles!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bagheera

19 Mar 2015 09:01 - 19 Mar 2015 12:23 #2767 by Alex
This last weekend i visited Phu Khieo. I was really impressed, particularly with how many impressive birds i ran into without even really looking!

19 Mar 2015 12:42 - 19 Mar 2015 17:02 #2770 by Paul T
Replied by Paul T on topic Phu Khieo Wildlife Sanctuary - August 2014
Love the Jackal "chasing" the hog deer!

19 Mar 2015 18:08 #2772 by onflipflops
Wow, you got VERY close to those pheasants!
Nice selection of animals.

02 May 2015 18:40 #2828 by iotai
Replied by iotai on topic Phu Khieo Wildlife Sanctuary - August 2014
Hi,

We've been traveling in south-east Asia with bicycles for a while and we're entering Thailand tomorrow. Our first destination (from Laos) should be Phu Khieo wildlife sanctuary (mostly for photography). As it's a 4-day journey with our bicycles to reach the park, we'd rather find it open and not go there for nothing. We plan to spend two or three days there. I've read the opening times in another topic but is there anything special that needs to be known to enter the park (fees, closing days...)? Thanks a lot for the help! (amazing pictures here...)

02 May 2015 21:59 #2829 by onflipflops
As mentioned in one of the threads you will need to enter before 15:00. That is not an official time limit, but we were refused to enter despite the sign saying a different time.
Not sure what the policy is for bicycles in Phu Khieo. But in some parks in Thailand, for example Kaeng Krachan national park it is not allowed to enter with a bicycle.
I guess this has to do with wild elephants, though honestly I think getting away on a bicycle is easier than by car, but my opinion does not count ;) . The potential elephant encounters were also the reason why we were not able to enter after 15:00.

No idea if there are special closing days, but I expect not. I honestly would worry about being allowed in the park with a bicycle or not. Hope the best for you!
One national park that surely allows bicycles is Khao Yai national park, despite being more likely to encounter an elephant than in most other parks. I can't recall seeing bicycles in any other parks.
Enjoy your trip!

"Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." > Edward O. Wilson

"An understanding of the Natural World and whats in it is a source of not only a great curiosity but great fulfillment." > Sir David Attenborough

“Climb up on some hill at sunrise.  Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you’ll find it there.” > Robb Sagendorph

©2021 wildlifethailand.com

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.